C4 Forums | Control4

6 button control

Okay so this is a longer question(well the answer is longer, but if you get me started I' ll be fine), but here we go.

I have a 3 6 button switchs that I want to program to have the ability to

Play

Pause

skip forward

skip backward

Volume up

volume down

I have been trying to figure this out, but I have had not luck with this at all. Like I said just get me pointed in the right direction and I should be fine. I should also add that I would like it to play music stored on my server. I have already add the storage folder for music.

Under programming on the top left pick your 6 button. Then at the top right select the room name. Then at the bottom right choose the command you want. Play will only work if you have a source already selected. For volume up/down use pulse, unless your going to do a press and hold, then you can use the start/stop. I have this fear a customer is going to program start volume up and forget to program the stop.

No this is just room music. I have a home server that has roughly 10,000 Albums stored on it, I'm going to create playlist inside composer. I've been reading and think I now understand how to start a playlist (or by pushing the button again go to the next playlist). But im still not sure how to skip songs inside the playlist, stop the song, or change the volume.

Now can I have multiple rooms playing different songs, different volumes?

the equipment I have is

AVM-mc1-b=controller

Avm-16S1-b= 16 Channel matrix

Sony receiver/amp for sending out the audio its a 5 channel receiver

No this is just room music. I have a home server that has roughly 10,000 Albums stored on it, I'm going to create playlist inside composer. I've been reading and think I now understand how to start a playlist (or by pushing the button again go to the next playlist). But im still not sure how to skip songs inside the playlist, stop the song, or change the volume.

Now can I have multiple rooms playing different songs, different volumes?

the equipment I have is

AVM-mc1-b=controller

Avm-16S1-b= 16 Channel matrix

Sony receiver/amp for sending out the audio its a 5 channel receiver

You can have as many different songs playing as you have audio outputs from the controller.

I'm not sure how your zones are wired off that Sony so I cant say for sure. I dont like using receivers for distributed audio that way and prefer to use the C4 amps as they are easier to use and more reliable for distributed audio - I do use receivers for surround zones though.

Okay hold that thought I got it now( as far as the skip pause goes).

Now as far as the audio out of the controller, I just tie that in to the matrix, than out to the receiver? And the controller handles the volume? I think I know how to direct the ports, if you have any tips or recommendations let me know.

P.S. Thank you guys so much for helping this N00B out.

Okay hold that thought I got it now( as far as the skip pause goes).

Now as far as the audio out of the controller, I just tie that in to the matrix, than out to the receiver? And the controller handles the volume? I think I know how to direct the ports, if you have any tips or recommendations let me know.

P.S. Thank you guys so much for helping this N00B out.

You can do it that way. The controller does not handle the volume in this case - the receiver does. The controller provides line out.

The Control4 amp has seperate volume control for every zone. It is a sweet unit. I love mine.

I use several 6 button keypads for exactly what you're trying to do.

I can post some screenshots of the way I have it programmed when I get back from CES.

Actually, I take that back - you can control line level volume with the Audio Matrix - I've seen installs where it was done there instead of at the amp.

Can you elaborate a little on how I would go about doing that? I think I know how, but if you had a suggestion it would help.

I' m at right now and I've playing with the virtual director trying to figure out how to do this. The only problem I' m still slipping on is making the connection between the controller and matrix than out to my receiver. I think I know how to do it, but with out my equipment in front of me I cannot test my theory. I should of stayed home sick so I can play with it. Eight hours is really dragging on today....

The Control4 amp has seperate volume control for every zone. It is a sweet unit. I love mine.

I wish I could afford it, it looks like a mean machine, but its a little out of my price range. If I cannot use my receiver the way I would like to, than I will use multiple small amps to achieve the same thing right now.

Actually' date=' I take that back - you can control line level volume with the Audio Matrix - I've seen installs where it was done there instead of at the amp.[/quote']

Can you elaborate a little on how I would go about doing that? I think I know how, but if you had a suggestion it would help.

I would but it's a little out of my comfort range for helping someone who has composer pro that shouldn't. Sorry.

Actually' date=' I take that back - you can control line level volume with the Audio Matrix - I've seen installs where it was done there instead of at the amp.[/quote']

I would but it's a little out of my comfort range for helping someone who has composer pro that shouldn't. Sorry.

Just curious, but how do you know he couldn't have it? The obvious complete lack of training? It appears that way. Hey OP, if you have it legitimately post your situation and you'll probably get more people willing to help.

I figured if I did not try to bullshit you all I would get more help. But I guess I should have tried that way first, but you all would have found me out anyway. Its okay I' am slowly figuring it all out myself. Do not get me wrong I' am more than grateful for all the help I' am receiving.

If you have the choice, the Amp is a better solution for volume control, as the Matrix Switch's volume increments are much less fine.

i.e. it increments / decrements volume in about 4% increments, where the Amp, its 1%. This is due to the fact that the Matrix Switch doesn't have any amplification, it just 'pads down' the volume, basically.

RyanE

I have this fear a customer is going to program start volume up and forget to program the stop.

Hehe. To prevent that, I use a button press to increment/decrement the volume by a set amount. Imagine my surprise just now to find out that is a circular function, i.e. "0" minus "1" equals "max"!!!! Just a binary value, I guess. I just programmed in a check for current level before decrementing it.

So instead of simply:

When Kitchen->6-Button Keypad button 3 is pressed

Dining->CURRENT_VOLUME = Dining->CURRENT_VOLUME - 2

I do (order of the "if"s matters):

When Kitchen->6-Button Keypad button 3 is pressed

If Dining->CURRENT_VOLUME LESS THAN OR EQUAL TO 2

Dining->CURRENT_VOLUME = 0

If Dining->CURRENT_VOLUME GREATER THAN 2

Dining->CURRENT_VOLUME = Dining->CURRENT_VOLUME - 2

Can you elaborate a little on how I would go about doing that? I think I know how' date=' but if you had a suggestion it would help.[/quote']

Just curious, but how do you know he couldn't have it? The obvious complete lack of training? It appears that way. Hey OP, if you have it legitimately post your situation and you'll probably get more people willing to help.

Dan,

go see this thread and tell me if you see any coincedents

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-custom/thread.cgi?23675

Just answering your question

Brent

As far as controlling the switches the way I wanted to, I figured it out. I will post the coding with screen-shots later. I' am eager to hear if I did it the best way, or the overly complicated. I want to solve one problem first, my led doesn't change color to represent current state.

Why wont my picture attach.

And I figured out my receiver wont work the way I want it to. Its just not wired the way I want it to be. Until I can afford the control4 amp, I think I will just by some cheap receivers and put them in line. Build the driver so that I can control the volume on each one, and even power cycle them(save on electricity when they are not needed, wish I could get my server to go to sleep, but that's a problem for a different thread.)

Archived