C4 Forums | Control4

schoolday 'time to leave' announcement etc

CSquared

I'm trying to program some lighting signals and an announcement to prompt the kids when to get their jackets on etc.

1. I was trying out flashing some lights, specifically a lamp on an outlet switch and the hallway lights on a dimmer. I used on and off with a few second delay in between. How 'bad' do you think the rapid on off or rapid dimming would be for the switches?

2. In scheduler, is there a way to exclude specific dates from weekly occurences. ie. I want to schedule Mon-Fri, but exclude holidays. I do have a work around by creating multiple schedules, but was hoping for something less tedious.

3. I have loaded a .wav file as an announcement on my HC-300 but can't get it to play. The controller is connected to a Yamaha AV receiver by coaxial cable. Can I get audio from the controller via the coax or do I need to run separate wires from the audio out of the controller?

4. Any other ideas for school departure signalling would be appreciated!

Thanks.

3. I have loaded a .wav file as an announcement on my HC-300 but can't get it to play. The controller is connected to a Yamaha AV receiver by coaxial cable. Can I get audio from the controller via the coax or do I need to run separate wires from the audio out of the controller?

Coax? Is anything plugged into the spots on the 300 that say Audio Output 1 or 2 (red and white RCA jacks) ?

Coax from composite video out.

Audio output jacks are empty.

Why am I getting the feeling that I have some wire to run?

1) Any reason you cant use component to get the on-screen navigator in 720p HD? Makes a huge difference.

2) Yep, you'll need audio out from a controller into either the c4 amp or another amp/receiver for announcements to work, and your dealer will need to make the bindings.

I'm trying to program some lighting signals and an announcement to prompt the kids when to get their jackets on etc.

1. I was trying out flashing some lights, specifically a lamp on an outlet switch and the hallway lights on a dimmer. I used on and off with a few second delay in between. How 'bad' do you think the rapid on off or rapid dimming would be for the switches?

2. In scheduler, is there a way to exclude specific dates from weekly occurences. ie. I want to schedule Mon-Fri, but exclude holidays. I do have a work around by creating multiple schedules, but was hoping for something less tedious.

4. Any other ideas for school departure signalling would be appreciated!

Thanks.

1. I don't think this is a concern- I flashed lights at 1Hz for a number of months before getting intercom.

2. No. That woud tend to "localize" the product wouldn't it?

3. I dont know- that's what I pay my dealer to figure out.

4. Announcement has been the most effective on my animals, I mean kids. Intercom is the ultimate and to think I resisted this...

thecodeman: 1. The coax is for an on-screen navigator. Looks like I have a little wire to run. Thanks.

Controlfouruserguy: 2. Yes, it would 'localize' or some might say 'customize' it to my house and life. Even schools in the same city have different schedules.

3. If I had a competent dealer I wouldn't have to read the forums. I do read them and try to understand things so that I know what the 'professionsals' are supposed to do instead of watching them read the manual on my time.

Clarification- total time I spent cycling my dimmer was 30 sec. every weekday for 7 months. I did this in two rooms. I still use those dimmers today in a non-cycling capacity. Also, I should mention that a ramp was used and 50% ceiling was set.

If anything, your bulbs might suffer more than the hardware...

Use a wakeup event for a room you don't need for the schedule.

Then you can turn on / off the event easy and just put logic in the wake up event to check for certain known holiday's and weekends so the announcement fires only when you want it to.

I think I have everything straight now. To summarize:

1. Flashing the lights. I think I'll do some dimming for now until I get an announcement going.

2. Scheduling exceptions to Mon-Fri. Will give it a whirl with conditional statements. It's hard to say at the moment if that will be any better than how I've done it with the scheduler.

3. Playing announcements. Need to run a little wire before any programming.

Thanks everyone.

Archived