C4 Forums | Control4

Need 16TB of more storage space for your NAS.... ( not 1600GB )

If you getting low on storage and storage space for all your movies you have been backing up on your NAS, like I have...

Newegg has the SANS DIGITAL TowerRAID TR8M-BP 8 Bay Tower w/ 6G PCIe Card (Black) in stock, now $299.99 with free shipping...

This is just the tower, with no HDs... It can handle up to 8 (x) 2TB hd, for a total of 16TB of storage space...

( Not , 8 (x) 200GB hd, for a total of 1600GB. As I first said, sorry about wrong info)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111141&cm_re=sans_digital-_-16-111-141-_-Product

http://www.sansdigital.com/towerraid/tr8mb.html

Sorry, messed up TB & GB info... My bad...

Actually, looks like 2TB per drive, for 16 TB total. Much more useful!

That's what I first had, but I thought it didn't look right... But of course I'm taking cold medicine, and nothing looks right to me right now...:P

Yes, It can hold up to 16TB of hard drive space...

Hey guys just to let you know here's a deal (combo deal) I found with the same unit if you're fine with refurbished.

If you see here:

http://store.sansdigital-shop.com/totr8baysato2.html

#1) TR8M-B Unit Refurbished for $205.00 discounted off the regular price of $329.00.

#2) Underneath in the product description it says FREE MS1U with the purchase of any 4-bay or higher refurbished item so you get that bonus.

#3) On their main site they link to their facebook page for another promotion -> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sans-Digital/174275312590473?v=app_4949752878#!/photo.php?fbid=184435598241111&set=a.184435594907778.44542.174275312590473

which I believe you can use the $20 off $150 if you can stack all of these.

So in conclusion: TR8M-B (Refurb) + MS1U for total of $185 + tax and shipping

You could also use those promotions/discounts on their other products, too, I guess.

Just got my TR8M-BP 8 Bay Tower today, and also got two WD 2TB drives to install in the unit just for right now... My sever is an Acer Aspire Easystore Home Server.

This link I found uses the same Acer server and Sans Digital 8 bay tower that I have... Set up was so easy, just need to remember to install your hard drives from bottom bay first ( #1 slot ) and just work your way up for each hard drive you install..

In the link he installed the eSATA card, I didn't in mine...

http://www.communicatingideas.com/2010/02/sans-digital-towerraid-tr8m-b-for-acer.html

Also, I got the Sans Digital 8 bay tower for a total of $299. There was no charge for tax or shipping.

quick question.....I have been out of pc's for a while how what would you need to make this setup to plug it into a network I currently dont have anything with esata

Not to sure, I take it you would need to be able to connect it to something that already has a hard drive in it; in order for it to be able to see the new hard drives that were just added.

panamagixxer, you might want to hold off on ordering one just yet...

Just found an issue tonight with the Sans digital tr8m-bp and my Acer server..

The tr8m-bp has 8 bays but it divided up into two section. 4 drives runs off one eSATA cable, and the other 4 drives off the second eSATA cable; that's why they give you the dual eSATA card to be installed.

I have the card installed in my Acer server, but I can't find out how to install the driver in the WHS. Just using the eSATA that already on my server will work for one of the section, but that's only 4 HD's...

I spent about 3hrs trying to find a easy answer, but no real answers.... Here is one link taking about getting the driver to work on WHS, but doesn't really explains how...

http://kamlau.com/software/sans-digital-towerraid-tr4m-b-and-acer-easystore-home-server/

If any one know how to do this "please" let me know...

panamagixxer, you might want to hold off on ordering one just yet...

Just found an issue tonight with the Sans digital tr8m-bp and my Acer server..

The tr8m-bp has 8 bays but it divided up into two section. 4 drives runs off one eSATA cable, and the other 4 drives off the second eSATA cable; that's why they give you the dual eSATA card to be installed.

I have the card installed in my Acer server, but I can't find out how to install the driver in the WHS. Just using the eSATA that already on my server will work for one of the section, but that's only 4 HD's...

I spent about 3hrs trying to find a easy answer, but no real answers.... Here is one link taking about getting the driver to work on WHS, but doesn't really explains how...

http://kamlau.com/software/sans-digital-towerraid-tr4m-b-and-acer-easystore-home-server/

If any one know how to do this "please" let me know...

To install the driver in the WHS, you will need to log in as an administrator on the WHS and install the driver from there. Once the driver installs, the WHS will be able to see 8 drives using the windows home server console.

If you have any more problems, I guess you can call their tech support line?

I finally got the driver and the dual eSATA card working now,and showing all 8 drive... :D

The main thing that kept stopping me was, I was not aware that you could "NOT" use the Remote Access that launches from WHS console (homesever.com). I knew I had to use a Remote Desktop, I but didn't know I had to use the one on a regular PC in order to have more control of the WHS... Still a newbie when it come to the In's and outs of a WHS...

What I did was first open the CD that came with the Sans Digital TR8M-BP and found the folder that had DRIVERS (32bit) in it and copied & pasted them to the WHS Share folder titled Software..

Using a PC running Windows 7, I then went to Start - Control Panel - Network Internet - View Network Computer and Devices... From there my ASPIREHOME server was listed, then I right clicked with the mouse which gave me and options to "Connect with Remote Desktop Connections". From there I was able to lunch Remote Desktop Connection to my WHS, after I logged into WHS it gave me some what of a PC desktop...

Next I went to Start - (Right click) on My Computer - Manage - Device Manager, found the SCSI Raid Controller with the yellow ? ... Click the [Driver] tab in the device properties. Click the [update Driver] button to continue..

The “Welcome to the Hardware Update Wizard” window appears... Next Select "Install from a list specific location ( Advance), then select " Search for the best driver in these locations", Check the "Include this location in the search:" Click on the Browse [button]... Go to My Computer - Data - Shares - Software, from there I found the folder that I copied the all the 32bit Driver in.. I believe it was the "RAID Driver 32bit Win -2003" was the one that was needed...

After the driver was installed for the controller, and the WHS restarted. Everything works like it's suppose to now...

Never really working with a WHS before, I think in the last 3 days I've learned more then I ever thought I would...

I hope in some way this could help some one else too.

Thanks,

David

Great explanation David. I'll keep this thread saved for when I fill up my server. So far I'm only at 3TB so I still have 5TB to fill. :D

Another way to get logged into your server is just to open a command prompt from any pc on your network and type "mstsc" which will bring up the remote desktop login. I just got my first WHS (Acer Aspire Easystore Home Server) this past summer and I agree, it's amazing what you learn in a short time.

Thanks, :)

I did try using "mstsc" but when it asked for the computer name, I didn't realize it wanted "ASPIREHOME". I was still thinking I had to use the "fillinblankhereHOMESEVER.COM" name I setup with remote access...

All still apart of my learning faze... :P

Archived