C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Getting Started / FAQ?

Hello, I am new to this site and apologize if I am posting this in the wrong section or failed to locate answers to the questions I am asking. Thanks for your patience.

That said, I am getting started with C4 buying some gear from family back east. I found a local dealer who agreed to program the system (for a fee of course) after I install the switches, dimmers, etc.

I have the HC300C controller + SR250 remote right now and am waiting for the rest.

Is there anything I can do now with the 300 and remote? Can I check firmware version, configure anything, see or do anything to check that it is functional? How?

Is there an FAQ for this site or C4 gear in general, a technical FAQ in particular?

I do not like being dependent upon the dealer/installer but hope there is something I can do to check out what I have before calling in the dealer to program.

Any technical articles, discussions, anything is appreciated.

Thank you.

Theres not much you can do at all until the system is programmed. If its an HC300C you are going to be on 204 or newer

Control4 is 100% NOT DYI so you are 100% DEPENDENT on your dealer to do programming changes such as installing and removing devices. You can purchase a Composer Home Edition license and will be able to do many changes though .

Hello, I am new to this site and apologize if I am posting this in the wrong section or failed to locate answers to the questions I am asking. Thanks for your patience.

That said, I am getting started with C4 buying some gear from family back east. I found a local dealer who agreed to program the system (for a fee of course) after I install the switches, dimmers, etc.

I have the HC300C controller + SR250 remote right now and am waiting for the rest.

Is there anything I can do now with the 300 and remote? Can I check firmware version, configure anything, see or do anything to check that it is functional? How?

There is not a lot you can do. You can try hooking the component or vga out on the controller to an input on your TV, set the TV to that input and see if anything shows up. Depending on how it was comfigured you may get the GUI (graphical user interface). If that shows up, and the SR-250 is connected to it, then you can navigate over to info and see what version it is on.

Additionally you can make any physical IR connections, serial connections, connect the contact and/or relay. You won't be able to program it to do anything though, that will require a dealer.

Is there an FAQ for this site or C4 gear in general, a technical FAQ in particular?

www.c4diy.com is my site, and is a good resource. www.c4central.com is my old site, and while it still has some of my articles there, most of what they talk about is product reviews. This forum is the best online resource there is.

I do not like being dependent upon the dealer/installer but hope there is something I can do to check out what I have before calling in the dealer to program.

You will be able to do just about everything after the initial setup, other than add and remove devices on your own, although some thing will require dealer help. It can easily be done remotely by some of the experts on this forum, which can save the cost of having an installer come on location.

Any technical articles, discussions, anything is appreciated.

Thank you.

No problem! Poke around this site, and the other two I shared with you. Ask questions here, no questions are bad questions! Welcome to the club.

Oh yeah, and ignore "laststraw"....although you probably don't need my advice to realize that.

I was hoping there might be access to the HC300 through its ethernet port or serial port, something like configuring an access point inband through the ethernet port, or a switch/router out of band through a terminal connection to a serial port.

Alas it seems I have to wait. I hate that :-(

For the dealers here to do the initial setup, would I need to purchase 4sight first, or can I allow a logmein type program remote access through an open port? What would the dealers here charge for an initial configuration/setup?

What is the cost of 4sight and/or composerHE?

Thanks for the replies. Please do share more and keep the info flowing!

www.c4diy.com is my site, and is a good resource. www.c4central.com is my old site, and while it still has some of my articles there, most of what they talk about is product reviews. This forum is the best online resource there is.

Dan, As the current Chief Editor at C4Central at this time just thought I would clear up this misconception that you have laid out here. Not to get in a peeing match or anything as I have never had a personal problem with you but this statement is really false. You may not have visited the site in a while. Currently on the C4Central home page out of every article highlighted not a single one is a review. There will be a review up on there this weekend that is an app review since I haven't done one of those in a while.

While you may not like C4Central please just do me the personal favor of not bashing it. I make sure that it has new blogs weekly, and that there is a balance of announcements, programming tutorials, useful info, and the occasional review. As of late my reviews are kinda kept at CePro magazine.

While you may not like C4Central please just do me the personal favor of not bashing it. I make sure that it has new blogs weekly, and that there is a balance of announcements, programming tutorials, useful info, and the occasional review. As of late my reviews are kinda kept at CePro magazine.

Joe, I don't visit the site much, that's just what I'd noticed in the past. I suggested he go there, I wasn't bashing it. My hats off to you for taking the time to constantly post new content (as it sounds like you do). I wish I had the time and energy to ut more info on www.c4diy.com.

Thanks Dan! Take a peak over there a little later tonight or tomorrow. Since you reminded me "thank you BTW" about reviews I am writing one right now. AND it is one that you may actually be interested in checking out! Very useful is all I can say right now lol. I think it has to do with something we both requested in the past!

Archived