C4 Forums | Control4

Look what I just found on eBay!

BrettB0727

I didn't do much research either. But I liked what the C4 dealer told me. They were also dealers for Crestron/AMX but recommended C4, especially because I wanted to be more hands-on. It works for me. I would have hated something like Crestron where I couldn't do anything at all. Therefore, I didn't even bother getting quotes for others.

DIY ones are definitely where C4 is today. I have thrown almost $50k in this in the last 2 years but I think it's worth it. I could have gone with Crestron but now that I chose C4 instead, I can build out my theater, throw in some paneling in my dining room and also buy some quality furniture. No one is satisfied completely and this will never end... :)

I didn't do much research either. But I liked what the C4 dealer told me. Therefore, I didn't even bother getting quotes for others.

No one is satisfied completely and this will never end.

That was exactly my situation. And as I've mentioned, I'm generally happy. For example, I've got the C4 8-zone amp and I've set up a 6-button keypad with the two columns of buttons to turn on my living/dining zones in an open floor plan, then set the source to my XM dock and adjust the volume plus turn the top LEDs red to show if either zone is on. It was fun to set that up with ComposerHE.

So here I sit in the sun under gorgeous blue skies, in front of large windows looking out across the valley at snow-covered 14,000ft peaks on two sides while wonderfully enjoyable music plays from the ceiling after a mere button-press. Later today or this evening I'll go down to the theater and pull up the C4 menu to select either a BD movie or something I've recorded to watch on that amazing SI BD screen, maybe punch a few buttons to change some lighting somewhere. Life is pretty darn good!!

I only get annoyed when I realize I can't go out and get a replacement for the POS Sony BD player without the hassle of having my C4 dealer involved, delaying and probably adding a hundred dollars to its cost.

I was such a hands-on customer that I ended up joining my dealer organization. They shared with me that a very small percentage of clients ever showed any interest in managing their own systems. Of the handful of customers who did have Composer Home Edition, I was the only one who ever did anything with it. My experimentation forced the dealer to dig me out on more than a few occasions, but they were great about it and we learned things from each other. Unfortunately, I was also a money losing customer and they dreaded having too many like me.

Now that I'm in the dealer's shoes, I clearly see what most C4 owners are all about. The C4 business model plays well to the vast majority of customers who just want it to work well with little to no hands-on involvement. For the small minority who want total control, maybe C4 isn't for you...unless you join your dealer.

...unless you join your dealer.

I would love to do that ... on a part-time basis -- not really interested in a full-time job anymore. Problem is I'm nearly in the middle of nowhere, two hours from the city where my (and the closest**) dealer is. The county has 15,000 people and is 85% public land. Building permits in the county are in the dozens per year, maybe a hundred or so total and the majority of those will not be homes where people will fork over $130 each for a bunch of light switches.

Guess I'll have to stick to skiing, hiking, biking ... and of course, whining on here because I can't do all the things I want to on my Control4 system. :)

-------------------------------------------

** That may not be true, there might be one in Crested Butte, about half as far. Aspen isn't far in summer but they probably only allow Crestron in that place, right? :lol:

Archived