C4 Forums | Control4

8 port recommendations

scm53

Soon moving into our new house. Structured wiring is set with coax and Cat5 to every bedroom, media room and outdoor kitchen. Planning on DirecTv with multi room viewing over the wired Cat5 - ergo a need for six ports. The ISP (until uVerse comes a little further down the street) is the cable provider, via the Linksys cable modem I own.

My question is, I am planning a C4 simple install - dealer was out yesterday. Don't ever envision streaming video from a NAS over the system (will stream DTV from room to room and from Netflix). What should I use, inside the structured wiring wall box, to connect the six Cat5 cables to the cable modem? Most of the recommended C4 routers only have four ports. Should I go for a Dell Poweredge? Not worried about the WAP issue - will either use the Linksys router I have only as a WAP, or buy a Pakedge - either way, I want the WAP outside the structured wiring box I'm putting the router/ switch inside - so an integrated router/WAP doesn't look like a good route.

Thanks in advance!

Soon moving into our new house. Structured wiring is set with coax and Cat5 to every bedroom, media room and outdoor kitchen. Planning on DirecTv with multi room viewing over the wired Cat5 - ergo a need for six ports. The ISP (until uVerse comes a little further down the street) is the cable provider, via the Linksys cable modem I own.

My question is, I am planning a C4 simple install - dealer was out yesterday. Don't ever envision streaming video from a NAS over the system (will stream DTV from room to room and from Netflix). What should I use, inside the structured wiring wall box, to connect the six Cat5 cables to the cable modem? Most of the recommended C4 routers only have four ports. Should I go for a Dell Poweredge? Not worried about the WAP issue - will either use the Linksys router I have only as a WAP, or buy a Pakedge - either way, I want the WAP outside the structured wiring box I'm putting the router/ switch inside - so an integrated router/WAP doesn't look like a good route.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, don't know much about DirectTV- did you say you can distribute that source over CAT5e? How does that work?

I'm with alf1096. Buy more ports than you think you need and definately more than 8. I bought an 8-port thinking a year ago thinking it was plenty. At that time didn't have a NAS, I/O extender, kids didn't have their own computer, etc. TVs and other devices are turning up with ethernet connections. I think 24 ports should be the minimum.

• 1 month later...
Sorry, don't know much about DirectTV- did you say you can distribute that source over CAT5e? How does that work?

They have a proprietary system called DECA that uses the coax to create their own cloud of connected DVRs acting as media servers across the house network of set top boxes. Works like a champ.

Archived