C4 Forums | Control4

Apple's Subscription Policy and Control4

zaphod

Does Apple's changes in its subscription policy affect Control4?

There is discussion in the WSJ that this new policy could even affect things like a Netflix subscription even though that Netflix sub may include DVDs by mail and access to Netflix streaming via PCs, Xboxes, Wiis, etc.

Is that any different than C4? Can Apple insist that C4 users be able to buy their subscription to MyHome, or whatever it is called, via the App store where Apple will get a 30% cut?

Shouldn't effect it at all. Per their press release (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/02/15appstore.html)...

Our philosophy is simple—when Apple brings a new subscriber to the app, Apple earns a 30 percent share; when the publisher brings an existing or new subscriber to the app, the publisher keeps 100 percent and Apple earns nothing.

But what about the next sentence which is:

"All we require is that, if a publisher is making a subscription offer outside of the app, the same (or better) offer be made inside the app, so that customers can easily subscribe with one-click right in the app."

Would that not mean that Control4 has to allow you to buy your MyHome site license from within the App and that Apple gets 30%?

IMHO, one of them is ongoing, the other is a one-time purchase, that is brought on from the Control4 side.

i.e. Control4 "brings the customer". There's no other reason for the customer to purchase a 'subscription' to the app. As it says in the verbiage from Apple's own announcement, "...when the publisher brings an existing or new subscriber to the app, the publisher keeps 100 percent and Apple earns nothing."

Anyway, I'm not a lawyer, and I'm not posting on behalf of Control4 in the matter, as I don't advise them on legal or contract matters (obviously).

(I've had to 'disclaimer' a bit too much lately...)

RyanE

Archived