C4 Forums | Control4

Question for the networking gurus

I have a 30Mb/s ISP connection. When I connect directly to my modem speedtest.net gets me ~30Mb/s every time. But when I connect through my router, it drops to ~16-17Mb/s.

My network is configured as follows:

Modem -> Cisco WRSV4400N Port 1 -> 24 port Cisco SR224R -> C4/other gear

Port 2 -> Computer 1 (speedtest @ ~16-17Mb/s)

Port 3 -> Computer 2 (speedtest @ ~16-17Mb/s)

Port 4 -> Empty

The only conclusion I can reach is that the Router is somehow throttling traffic, but not sure where to look. I know this is a popular router for C4 users so thought one of the dealers might have run into this. Any ideas?

EDIT: Just wanted to point out that both computers have gigabit NIC's on wired connenctions to the router

You should read this article on a similar product (same box minus the wireless). Seems like they ran into the same issue as you...

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/29910/51/

That is very interesting. What other routers are recommended for C4 systems? To be honest, this router has seemed flakey to me from the start. Very tempermental.

EDIT: Reread the article that kevvo posted and tried disabling IPS. Voila! Banging out 30Mb/s! For anyone else with a fast connection and the Cisco WRSV4400N, highly recommend disabling the IPS system on the router. Thanks kevvo!!

I'll leave it to the dealers to comment as well, but I've been looking at the new Cisco RV220W

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31427-new-to-the-charts-cisco-rv-220w-wireless-n-vpn-firewall

The other one I think is interesting is the Cisco Linksys E4200, although that is more of a consumer-level piece of gear. But if wireless speed is important to you, its faster than the above. I've been looking more at WAN to LAN speed, which the RV220W seems to do very well.

I had the same issue with mine.

That's very surprising for a "small business" router of this calibre. Did turning off IPS eliminate the problem for you?

It was actually the RVS4000 (no wifi built-in) that I was using but experienced the same issue. I had upgraded to the latest fw and disabled IPS but found it still throttled my speeds moreso than using the switch built into my modem/router. I have 50/5 from TWC and would only see ~30 down vs ~45 down using the modem itself.

That's very surprising for a "small business" router of this calibre. Did turning off IPS eliminate the problem for you?

It was actually the RVS4000 (no wifi built-in) that I was using but experienced the same issue. I had upgraded to the latest fw and disabled IPS but found it still throttled my speeds moreso than using the switch built into my modem/router. I have 50/5 from TWC and would only see ~30 down vs ~45 down using the modem itself.

Ah, that makes sense then - I have a 30Mb/s connection, so I'm probably bumping up against the speed limit for this device. Out of curiousity, what were you seeing with IPS on?

50/5? That's a strange config. I do a lot of uploading to my FTP site so that would kill me.

50/5? That's a strange config. I do a lot of uploading to my FTP site so that would kill me.

Yeah, 50 down 5 up is the best I can get where I live. Beats the 18/2 from ATT.

Archived