C4 Forums | Control4

USB Install vs a USB Restore?

A USB install allows you to upgrade from a lover version of C4 system software to a higher version without an Internet connection. The existing project is migrated and stays on the system. This is available in C4 software version 1.8 and lower. Not available in 2.0.

A USB restore is used to set the system back to "factory defaults" like it is a blank, out of the box piece of hardware. The old project is erased. One would primarily use this if the wanted to wipe a system clean or the software was corrupt and the system would not load correctly. The USB restore does not require update manager in Composer Pro. A USB restore only restore the device you run the restore on so if you have multiple controllers in our system each would need to have the restore run. This is available in C4 software version 1.8 and lower. Not available in 2.0.

• 1 year later...

Old topic but I'm relatively new and have been searching for solution to my problem for a while and just ran across this. I have an HTC controller that the insternal USB was corrupted (if I swap out the USB from another HTC, the hardware works fine). I need to either clone the working USB or use and install (or restore) USB to fix the bad USB. Once I have donwloaded the USB retore stick, how do I use it? I have tried simply plugging it in to the USB on the back of the HTC and on the second internal USB after power up and before powering up. Neither seems to reload the system. What's the system/process to use a restore (or install) USB?

Clone the bad USB? I plugged the bad USB into a linux machine and it appeared totally dead...the PC won't even recognize the USB. When I tried to copy the good usb, there are several files that won't copy (protected?) So I tried a fresh USB stick. It's a 1GB vs a 256MB (like the original). Formatted it as FAT32. Can't seem to make anything happen. Just found that if I hold the front (ID) button while powering up for about 30 seconds, I get a new message on the TV screen i.e. "Network Update....Resetting all network configuration parameters to factory defaults." rather than the normal "please wait..." power up message. But, it's been that way for about 15 minutes now. Not sure if it's becuase I'm using an "Install" stick of if it would do that regardless. Should I be using an "Install" stick or a "restore" stick (I have links for both). Should I be plugging it in to the external USB port?

My guess is you need to use "dd" utility to do a low level copy of a good usb drive from another HTC. I have done something similar in the past. I found that windows DD utilities are useless, and I used a Linux live usb drive to run the DD utility on my windows PC (if you have a linux box - even better). Using the DD utility I did the low level usb copy of the controller image.

The only issue you might have is that there maybe different config (in particular the MAC address) on the copy you get from another HTC, which you might need to edit.

Once this works you only need a usb restore or install if you want to upgrade to another version.

On the other hand, I may have no idea what I am talking about.

The Control4 usb restore stick will only work on Control4 OS versions 1.3.1 onwards. Your Home Theatre Controller may not work with it depending on what is corrupted (Control4 has a boot loader that boots the rom from the usb). As you have damaged the usb you will need to do as dannyboy says and dd and imagine from a working home theatre controller. You will not need to change any configuration files. I am concerned that the usb has corrupted though to a state where it is not recoverable. I would also listen to the power supply on the board to see if it is ticking. If so then that is an indicator that your controller is about to fail.

OK....I think between the last two posts, I've got my answers.

Yes, I'm sure the original (now bad) usb is totally useless. It isn't even recogonized by the linux box where-as the good htc usb is totally readable (however on a windows machine both get recognized as a usb drive but then neither is ever recognized as being present when you try to read or format it...sort of wierd. Anybody know what format the usb sticks are formatted with? something other than FAT or FAT32?).

Anyway, I assume that since the USB Restore/Install sticks are only usable with 1.3.x and above, the fresh (replacement) usb stick I'm using is not going to work as-is. I'll pursue using the dd approach first (the working htc is already on 1.7.4 which is the latest version for my poor old embernet system). Thanks for the help guys!

^That's what I was referring to...cloning a functional USB stick. Obviously cloning the dead one isn't an option.

Sounds like your on the right track.

In case your curious, if it were me, I'd let my kids turn it in to a hockeypuck and buy a new HTC for $25. I don't know that it's worth all the time you're spending, but that's for you to decide.

Thanks guys. I sort of figured the game out but for sure I one. My extra htc has been retored to facotry defaults. Although I still think one knowledgable in Linux should be able to clone a usb stick from a working unit using dd and/or cpio, I was not. I was just not able to get it to end up with the right file structure. I got really close though and maybe close enough to make the htc think it was alive enough to finally accept a USB Restore stick. Actually I got there pretty much using a USB Install stick but the install stick wouldn't take me all the way there. I really never saw any indication on the video output that the install stick was doing anything but after waiting quite a while, I had files and folders on the usb that weren't there before (but it didn't have all the folders that were present on the working usb). I had to use root access to do anything with the ones that weren't there. Normal permissions and the graphical interface wouldn't let me copy them; cpio did but I always had an extra layer in the tree. Probably all cockpit error (I'm not a Linux guru).

Anyway, I think the biggest thing may have been that I might have been using a bad usb restore builder intially. I had tried it a couple of time and it actually created something that looked more like a USB installer but without the all the supporting files under each product. The final usb restore file structure was totally different that the usb install. The link I used created either/or:

http://usb-stick-creator1.software.informer.com/download/#

Using it, the video defintely provided feedback that the Factory Restore was about to start, that it was in progress and that it finished. I fianlly knew I had licked it when I started seeing those messages. Maybe I'll start playing with upgrading an htc to 1.8 now and just see what happens there.

The game was fun and I think I'll make my PC dual boot and start playing more with linux....got a couple tivo boxes to attack next! ;)

• 2 years later...

Archived