C4 Forums | Control4

Replaced control 4 tv

I have control 4 in my family room. worked fine, now I replaced that tv with a Mitsubishi WD62628. The control 4 remote will not turn on the tv. Once I turn tv on with its regular remote the system works fine. Do i need to have the system reprogrammed since I replaced the tv?

A Racquet is what you use to play Racquetball. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racquet

The word you're looking for is "Racket", although I disagree with your assessment.

Control4 is dealer-installed by design, so that your dealer can ensure that the TV gets connected properly and that the right driver gets installed, that discrete On/Off codes and channel selection macros are working, and that the TV performs the way it was designed to within the Control4 system.

RyanE

LOL at RyanE.

vrocket, how often do you change TV's? Is this really a problem?

The system is smart, but did you really expect it to know that you got a new TV? That little IR bud on the TV sends specific commands, it doesn't send commands for every model of TV made all at once.

If a driver is already built, it shouldn't take your dealer long and should be able to be done remotely.

It's a miraculous feat that thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands or millions, of Logitech Harmony users are able to change a TV in their home and still manage to get their Harmony modified to control everything correctly again. Just amazing. Million monkeys pounding on a keyboard, I guess. ;)

Oh, and even more amazing: if there's not a driver for your new device, Logitech makes it possible for a dumb, untrained user to create one. Incredible.

------------------------

Before anyone starts: yes, I understand "how" it's different. I'll never accept "why" it's different. This was a decision by Control4 that has nothing to do with technical difficulty of the tasks involved. The tasks involved aren't different for Harmony users than for Control4 and the fact that Control4 does more than manage the A/V system is not relevant to the ease or difficulty of this piece.

And anytime I see the "so that your dealer can ensure everything is done correctly", I react with hysterical laughter.

It's a miraculous feat that thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands or millions, of Logitech Harmony users are able to change a TV in their home and still manage to get their Harmony modified to control everything correctly again. Just amazing. Million monkeys pounding on a keyboard, I guess. ;)

Oh, and even more amazing: if there's not a driver for your new device, Logitech makes it possible for a dumb, untrained user to create one. Incredible.

------------------------

Before anyone starts: yes, I understand "how" it's different. I'll never accept "why" it's different. This was a decision by Control4 that has nothing to do with technical difficulty of the tasks involved. The tasks involved aren't different for Harmony users than for Control4 and the fact that Control4 does more than manage the A/V system is not relevant to the ease or difficulty of this piece.

And anytime I see the "so that your dealer can ensure everything is done correctly", I react with hysterical laughter.

LOL @ EagleMoon. :)

I hesitate to respond to this thread again, as I know feelings and opinions on this subject are very strong, but I do think you're comparing apples to oranges.

Many companies have tried to sell DIY / Comprehensive automation, many have failed. This includes many very capable competitors and even some capable open source / free alternatives.

IMHO, at this point in time, it's nearly impossible to sell a *comprehensive* automation system in a DIY fashion (not just Home Theater control, but multi-room audio, lighting, security and HVAC integration, full 2-way 3rd-party device drivers, etc.). The level of complexity for that kind of system installation is a couple of orders of magnitude more complicated than the simple 'Replace the TV' scenario being discussed here. It involves many areas of expertise that most people don't have -- Electrical, Low-Voltage, Networking, Automation, and even Woodworking/Drywall occasionally! :)

Also, just because the dealer model is not your cup of tea, don't rule out the fact that it is for many, many people.

Control4's main audience and the Harmony audience are not always the same types of people. I'd argue that the people participating here on the forums are *much more likely* to know how to do a Harmony-type setup, and are more capable and likely to DIY other things as well. I'd argue that for many Control4 owners, the dealer model is a better fit.

I'm *certainly not* saying that there aren't many people on these forums that couldn't setup a Control4 system with one hand tied behind their back. That group is just not a big enough audience to turn enough profit to make something like Control4 a viable business.

Control4 succeeds, in part, due to the business model they've chosen, and their dealer network. Although you typically only hear about the 'bad eggs' around here, Control4 has some *awesome* dealers who've earned all their success. The Custom Install dealer channel is a powerful ally for Control4, and has fueled Control4's growth.

IMHO.

RyanE

------------------------

Seriosly you think that C4 and Harmony can be implemted in the same way? You have to accept that the "how" controls some of the "why"

I hesitate to respond to this thread again, as I know feelings and opinions on this subject are very strong, but I do think you're comparing apples to oranges.

Control4 succeeds, in part, due to the business model they've chosen, and their dealer network. Although you typically only hear about the 'bad eggs' around here, Control4 has some *awesome* dealers who've earned all their success. The Custom Install dealer channel is a powerful ally for Control4, and has fueled Control4's growth.

I too, hesitate. But I'll add one more thing and drop it.

I understand the model, theoretically. But there's nothing fundamentally incompatible with a dealer-designed/installed approach and with my wish for a bit more control once that's done. I want to be able to do things like rename components or move them to a different room in the navigator. Maybe even add simple devices like dimmers. Nothing about that is rocket science.

Anyone remember me saying several times in the past that I'm very happy with my Control4 system?

I understand the model, theoretically. But there's nothing fundamentally incompatible with a dealer-designed/installed approach and with my wish for a bit more control once that's done. I want to be able to do things like rename components or move them to a different room in the navigator. Maybe even add simple devices like dimmers. Nothing about that is rocket science.

Agreed. I think there are many end users who would do just fine with that. I can't predict if this will ever become an option for 'Prosumer' users, but I personally would not be against it.

Anyone remember me saying several times in the past that I'm very happy with my Control4 system?

Glad to hear it. Thanks for the reminder.

RyanE

Glad to hear it. Thanks for the reminder.

In fact, despite a few annoyances, I do like it enough I'd like to be dealer if I could partner with someone to do most of the work (don't really want a full-time job;). Unfortunately, the area where we live isn't really large and prosperous enough to support it without a lot of work to branch out into nearby areas, possibly not even then.

Archived