C4 Forums | Control4

What causes a dimmer to flash green - white- green - white...

I just got a new dimmer to put in a bedroom downstairs. The dimmer is a C4-DIM1-Z-x. Since the power source is at the light, I followed the instructions to wire it that way. After i hooked it up it starts out with both lights on the dimmer green. If I press the top button 4 times to identify it, it will flash green-white-green- white for about for times. If I press thentop button 5 times, the dimmer powers off and will come back on after a few seconds.

No matter what I try, i cannot get this to work. I have checked the wiring at the light and ther source comes in there, and it appears wired correctly.

Does anyone have any ideas?

My Project is already 2.0 so I do not think that is what is going on.

The YouTube video also does not describe the issue. Let me see if I can give you more details.

After I hook up the dimmer both lights are solid green. I then go into composer to identify the new dimmer in the Connection | Network tab.

If I press the upper button 4 times to identify the dimmer. Both lights on the dimmer flash green-white-green-white-green-white and then back to solid green.

If I press the top button 7 times - the lights go black for about 15 seconds and then they come back to solid green.

Any other ideas?

My Project is already 2.0 so I do not think that is what is going on.

The YouTube video also does not describe the issue. Let me see if I can give you more details.

After I hook up the dimmer both lights are solid green. I then co into composer to identify the new dimmer in the Connection | Network tab.

If I press the upper button 4 times to identify the dimmer. Both lights on the dimmer flash green-white-green-white-green-white and then back to solid green.

If I press the top button 7 times - the lights go black for about 15 seconds and then they come back to solid green.

Any other ideas?

Are you sure it is listed as a dimmer and not a switch in composer, I have screwed this up before, and after banging my head against the wall realized I was identifying a dimmer to a switch driver or vice versa?

Are you sure it is listed as a dimmer and not a switch in composer, I have screwed this up before, and after banging my head against the wall realized I was identifying a dimmer to a switch driver or vice versa?

Just checked and in Composer it lists it as a Dimmer (LDZ-102) Is there an updated driver I need for Composer? If so - where do I get it?

Thanks

Update: I have now tried 3 switches in each of 3 different circuits in the house. All have the same wiring (source coming to the light fixture instead of the switch) And all 3 exhibit the same behavior. Pressing the top button flashes the lights white then back to green, then back to white and green then white and green.

I am just not sure what is going on. I have done most of my house and have never had this kind of trouble.

Any other recommendations?

It is doubtful that the whole batch of switches is bad?

Update: I have now tried 3 switches in each of 3 different circuits in the house. All have the same wiring (source coming to the light fixture instead of the switch) And all 3 exhibit the same behavior. Pressing the top button flashes the lights white then back to green, then back to white and green then white and green.

I am just not sure what is going on. I have done most of my house and have never had this kind of trouble.

Any other recommendations?

It is doubtful that the whole batch of switches is bad?

Final thing I can offer is to manually put the mac address in and then tap the top four buttons and see if it updates in the zigbee menu.

Thanks for all the help - but I seem to be at a loss.

I had previously tried inputting the MAC address to no avail.

The final thing I tried was to swap a dimmer that is not working with one that is working. When I replaced the dimmer with one that I could not get to work - it worked. To add to the confusion - the one that had previously been identified - exhibited similar behavior when hooked to any one of the light circuits in my house that are wired as described above.

The behavior is the following:

* The dimmer light is blue when I hook one up that had previously been identified (it is blue because that is the way it is configured).

* When I hit the top button to turn the light on - the top button turns blue for a moment and the light in the room comes on briefly - then both lights flash white once the light comes on in the room and the lights in the room turn off and the dimmer goes back to having the bottom set to blue.

Is it possible that the dimmers no longer support the single pole configuration where the source is at the light? The majority of my main floor is wired this way and it is the only floor I have left to get dimmers for.

Does anyone know anyone that works at Control4 that might be able to add something to this thread?

Thanks for all the help - but I seem to be at a loss.

I had previously tried inputting the MAC address to no avail.

The final thing I tried was to swap a dimmer that is not working with one that is working. When I replaced the dimmer with one that I could not get to work - it worked. To add to the confusion - the one that had previously been identified - exhibited similar behavior when hooked to any one of the light circuits in my house that are wired as described above.

The behavior is the following:

* The dimmer light is blue when I hook one up that had previously been identified (it is blue because that is the way it is configured).

* When I hit the top button to turn the light on - the top button turns blue for a moment and the light in the room comes on briefly - then both lights flash white once the light comes on in the room and the lights in the room turn off and the dimmer goes back to having the bottom set to blue.

Is it possible that the dimmers no longer support the single pole configuration where the source is at the light? The majority of my main floor is wired this way and it is the only floor I have left to get dimmers for.

Does anyone know anyone that works at Control4 that might be able to add something to this thread?

I assume you are talking about switch leg wiring (no neutral at the box). Do you have the red and white wire hooked up to the load? Also are you sure that it is not a 3 way switch?

Last report for the night. I tried hooking up an older model dimmer to the troubled circuit and got the same behavior with a little different twist. Instead of going directly to white - the older dimmers went to red - then quickly to white - then quickly to the normal color - but it will not turn the light on and make it stay on.

It sound to me like you're wiring them wrong. Please post exactly how they're wired up. Which wire to which wire.

Here is how I am wiring them

Black on Dimmer to Black wire to light

White and Red wires on Dimmer to White wire to light

Green wire on Dimmer to Ground wire to light

The wiring matches the C4 dimmer installation manual.

I just realized I haven't ever wired one where the power source was at the light.

Do you have enough wire in the wall that you can route the power to the box and not the light?

It seems strange to me that the white and red wires would wire to white on the light.

The black wire is in the switch box it HOT, right?

It sound to me like you're wiring them wrong. Please post exactly how they're wired up. Which wire to which wire.

Here is how I am wiring them

Black on Dimmer to Black wire to light

White and Red wires on Dimmer to White wire to light

Green wire on Dimmer to Ground wire to light

The wiring matches the C4 dimmer installation manual.

This is the switch leg install.

It will be difficult to get power to the switches.

I have attached the C4 dimmer installation manual so you can see what it says to do for source a the light. my wiring matches that setup.

Is there a description of what the different flashed of the LEDs mean?

It will be difficult to get power to the switches.

I have attached the C4 dimmer installation manual so you can see what it says to do for source a the light. my wiring matches that setup.

Is there a description of what the different flashed of the LEDs mean?

You can pull a neutral wire from the fixture to the switch I assume (it should follow the same path as the load wire)?

I assume you are talking about switch leg wiring (no neutral at the box). Do you have the red and white wire hooked up to the load? Also are you sure that it is not a 3 way switch?

Does C4 make a 3 way switch or are you talking about the manual switch that is currently there? None of them are a 3 way switch. There is only one switch that controls each of these lights.

Does C4 make a 3 way switch or are you talking about the manual switch that is currently there? None of them are a 3 way switch. There is only one switch that controls each of these lights.

I was talking about your switch configuration, but it looks like your sure that only one switch controls the light.

You can pull a neutral wire from the fixture to the switch I assume (it should follow the same path as the load wire)?

I will look and see if that is a possibility - but there are at least 4 switches that do not work properly. It seems that this should work as the instruction manual says it should.

I am just not sure what I am missing with this switch-leg install.

I have many dimmers that are installed where power comes to the switch through the fixture. It sounds like you have it wired correctly, which brings the problem back to a software/programming issue. Have you tried a reboot of your controller?

Archived