C4 Forums | Control4

Eragy/Control4- Hardware Choice Question

CFUG

• 1 month later...

Help Please! We are a new dealer and looking for the right Energy monitoring device to integrate with. Our customer wants to collect data and if possible us data to trigger events.

Are there favorites?

Do any offer Temperature and Humidity?

Thanks

Help Please! We are a new dealer and looking for the right Energy monitoring device to integrate with. Our customer wants to collect data and if possible us data to trigger events.

Are there favorites?

Do any offer Temperature and Humidity?

Thanks

have you tried posting this in the dealer forum?

• 1 month later...

So, is the "Eragy Intelligent Energy Management" version of the Eragy offering and out of beta? I would think there would be more discussion if so, are the NDA's still in place? I am putting in a bunch of new electrical panels and a solar system with microinverters by the end of the month (damn grant timelines). I need some specific answers, and I'm not getting any after trying for months.

Even if the system isn't out yet, there ought to be enough information to give my electrician so I'm not kicking myself when/if this is released.

Ok I think I have my mind wrapped around this now after visiting eGauge's website, talking to them, and getting some initial pieces ordered. It most definitely does matter how your panel is setup because if you don't have loads you want to monitor/manage on their own dedicated circuits, its going to be hard to get the data you want.

So now I just need the management part of Eragy to take the readily available XML from PowerSmart Pricing (hourly pricing) that is available at 6PM the previous day for the hourly pricing schedule the next day, and somehow interface that with some programming logic that cuts loads to certain devices if power it higher than X, or even better look at pricing when it goes negative (which does happen sometimes) and turn on a bunch of high draw stuff that will make me some money. . .

actually a more realistic scenario would be to really ramp up the pre-cooling if the price is low enough.

• 4 months later...
^So, are you now using eGauge CTs with Eragy software? Is anyone out there using this combination?

I should have had this setup 2-3 months ago, but its a long story. I have everything in place to do it, but who knows when it will be live.

Like I said long story, huge remodel project, slow contractors, it was supposed to be a project in-between other large pain points but somehow it was always at the bottom of the list. But no it is not DIY because of the panel access required, at least not anything I want to try to do on my own.

• 3 months later...

Finally got my CTs and eGauge to where the setup is mostly right, tried to sign up for the free MyEragy--and the Eragy web site won't see my data after following their instructions. Sigh. Anybody using this combination here that has set it up fairly recently?

Did your dealer sign you up/give you access to eragy's site? Iirc, that's the process I went through, but it was all for naught. 1) eragy's free app causes issues with my system and/or 2) the free eragy app would not talk with my Ted 5000 unless I paid $100/yr. maybe you'll have better luck with eguage.

Dd- if you're listening, I'd love a driver that takes all of the info from the ted5000 and displays it on the tv.

tum

I'm not even to the part where I would have to have any kind of dealer setup. All it is doing is the first step where it finds my eGauge device. Which I know is available on the internet because you can look it up on eGauges' site. So it isn't an issue on my end. I think the Eragy stuff is just broken or temporarily down.

tumult, what issues did the free app cause?

my recollection was that in order to download the app from eragy, your dealer has to have an account and sign you up and then you can log on, fill out some info, and download the app.

It was a few months ago so my memory is a bit foggy, but I think after downloading the app and attempting to use it, something was freezing up my 7'' ts. That's when I discovered that on 2.1.xx you can't delete an app that's been downloaded.

tum

• 2 weeks later...

It finally worked when I tried it today. No dealer involvement necessary. The next issue is figuring out how to get both my eGauge devices talking to it, only one is right now. The tool seems to be very limited with lack of customization. Looks pretty, but it will need work before it is anything I would ever pay for.

EDIT: nevermind, it is getting data from both sensors. Just had to enter the custom URL for both devices.

• 1 month later...

Its good data, but by the time you get it all setup, get it integrated to actually act on anything (my problem is Eragy doesn't even offer my time of day pricing as a data feed (yet?) so anything based on time of use isn't going to work), its a toy.

Darn. But, it would tell you what operational modes are sucking the power. That would be the bare minimum but then again a lesser cost device could do that as well. So, my analysis brought me to eGauge/Eragy package just like you have. Hardware-wise, is this still the way to go?

I'm not sure what the paying version of Eragy really gets you with eGauge now, they've improved the eGauge firmware and it has some pretty graphs now. If you don't mind the cost of eGauge, at least you avoid the recurring costs of Eragy with the free version. Biggest issue I've had is I've had to reset the eGauge stuff occassionally (besides getting the install done which actually still isn't 100% right).

Archived