C4 Forums | Control4

Eragy/Control4- Hardware Choice Question

CFUG

On second thought, forget it. Just priced-out a complete system and it would take decades to write that one off. I'll leave it at that out of respect for other posters here :)

LOL..and I thought some new hippie girl had got to you, and she'd wispered in your ear, and you'd become all warm and fuzzy and all green and enviro friendly all of a sudden.... :lol:

No, every now and then (like when the PoCo sends me another monthly bill), I get the knee-jerk to check into what I should be doing to reduce usage. It's always the same thing though; $80k for solar and 8 to 10 yr. payback, $35/pop for LED x 80 bulbs= headache (plus limits type of in-ceiling fixture used), eGauge/Eragy that doesn't give full set of info out of the box. It's always some sorta hitch with this kind of thinking.

Absolutely spot on. They have to get the price point sorted. It's got to make economic sense. Over here it's kinda starting to, with off peak tariffs available if you do a solar instal, ..solar panel prices are plummeting, and with Clipsal cbus we've got an energy monitoring system happening at around $500 fully installed. It's not C4 integrated, but at this price point it becomes useful. I'm lead to believe AlanC is working on something for Control4, but it may not be US compliant. I don't know what he's really up to in that home lab of his, but he's up to something :)

Energy prices spike and that 8-10yr payback becomes a lot shorter (although 8-10yr is pretty optimistic, I guess maybe you were planning on a DIY?). I got both a federal grant and state grant, the state grants are limited and that was the only reason it made sense for me when I made that cut.

I justify it as a hedge against outrageous energy price spikes, we'll see...

controlfouruserguy - We installed a 10Kw system about a year ago. If I had to do it again, I would use one of the companies that pays for the install/products, but they get all the credits. I don't recall all the details but it seems like a win-win as you're not out any cash.

tum

controlfouruserguy - We installed a 10Kw system about a year ago. If I had to do it again, I would use one of the companies that pays for the install/products, but they get all the credits. I don't recall all the details but it seems like a win-win as you're not out any cash.

tum

There are companies that will pay for the product and the install, just based on getting a tax credit?

controlfouruserguy - We installed a 10Kw system about a year ago. If I had to do it again' date=' I would use one of the companies that pays for the install/products, but they get all the credits. I don't recall all the details but it seems like a win-win as you're not out any cash.

tum[/quote']

There are companies that will pay for the product and the install, just based on getting a tax credit?

yes, I have a few friends here in Evergreen that have done it. I think they got a free ipad after they signed up. Here's the company they used: http://www.sungevity.com/solar-lease

tum

controlfouruserguy - We installed a 10Kw system about a year ago. If I had to do it again' date=' I would use one of the companies that pays for the install/products, but they get all the credits. I don't recall all the details but it seems like a win-win as you're not out any cash.

tum[/quote']

yes, I have a few friends here in Evergreen that have done it. I think they got a free ipad after they signed up. Here's the company they used: http://www.sungevity.com/solar-lease

tum

Very cool. They don't serve Utah, but it looks interesting. I'm going to do more research. It looks like a cool concept.

• 10 months later...

Good topic here...does anybody have any actual insight into what Eaton is doing with Control4? From what I can tell, they can't even get their announced ZigbeePro breakers out the door for consumers. Seems like that would be a key piece of the whole infrastructure for some equipment. I am no fan of Eaton after what they did with Home Heartbeat (and I told them so at CEDIA 2011). But I thought at one point they were this great C4 partner but I never hear a thing about Energy Management anymore on here...

Archived