C4 Forums | Control4

Pioneer VSX-1021-K New

I just bought the new Pioneer (you guessed it) VSX-1021-K (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-1021-K). If you have not looked in to it, its a pretty sweet little amp for the price. Its controllable over network connection, you can go as far as using your iPhone. I never thought I would be using my cell phone to control my AV receiver. Okay so on to the question of the day.

At this moment I' am using the VSX-1120 network driver, it works about 98% of the time. There is a couple snags I ran in to, but I was able to add code to negate the couple hang-ups. But if any one has a network driver for the VSX-1021-k, I would be greatly appreciated if you could hook me up.

Thank you all for your time,

Mike

Setting up the IP driver was actually very easy, I set my receiver to a static address. Then in the system design tab, I programed the driver with that address, manually turn the receiver on, and the driver said that it was connected to the receiver.

When you add the serial driver, did you use the serial connection? i assume you most have, because I don't think you can use IP over a serial driver, or can you?

• 4 weeks later...

I also am using this receiver and the 1120 ip driver. However, finding a few issues with it. Wondering if a 1021 native IP driver is in the works, etc...?

The inputs don't seem to match up appropriately so I can't seem to use all the hdmi inputs.

Also, been having some hdmi video issues losing sync briefly, no audio loss.

Also, zone 2 works but I can't seem to toggle power to either zone with the 1120 IP driver.

If anyone has any IP command documentation for the 1021 that would be great.

The iPad app is awesome and this thing sounds a ton better then the denon 3311 it replaced.

Another issue I have is the direct tuning of stations doesn't seem to work. So I have to use tuner presets, rather then the fm stations options.

My only real complaint on it is no on screen overlay over hdmi, so you don't get on screen volume feedback.

I really don't want to have to reverse engineer the ipad ip commands, hoping someone has access to the ip commands or a driver is in the works...

If anyone has anything they can help with, that would be great. Otherwise, in the mean time, I could always use a simple IR driver for some of the issues.

Did some playing around and found a reference rs 232 command set (the network port 23 just is a raw connection to send rs232 ascii commands to it, so its dead simple to control)

Poking around in the "certified" drivers for multiple Pioneer products, it appears they don't follow the rs232 / ip spec for pioneer for all commands.

Not being a LUA programmer (yet) I can't seem to make out how to correct the missing or incorrect commands. But via the LUA debug tab I can send the appropriate commands that are missing from the driver.

Basically it seems like the cr/lf is not being sent at the end of commands and the polling features like power status, volume status are not being queried.

Bit out of my league until I figure out the finer points of the LUA / C4 Language, but for "certified" drivers, its clear they are incomplete for basically all pioneer products.

Hopefully Control4 will update the drivers to be a bit more "complete"

FYI, here's the rs232 / ip command reference from Pioneer:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/Home%20Custom%20Install/VSX-31-RS232.pdf

• 5 weeks later...

So im bumping this thread because I still have not come up with a better driver than I have. So all you dealers do you guys have access to a driver for this system? Can anyone update the driver im using to be more reliable, and have all the correct inputs/outputs? Im trying to learn how to write drivers, but this seems to be a little advanced for me, but im hoping to "get it".

• 5 months later...

This receiver has been pretty cheap recently (on Woot today sub $300). You have to move up to the 1121-K to get RS-232 control, but I'm wondering if I really need it. This isn't going to be my primary AVR but in less important room I still want surround sound. If there hasn't been a driver fix at this point I doubt there will be. Are there any major issues with using the 1120 driver as is?

• 1 month later...

Sorry I never respond, my life got really difficult the past few months. I have not really been to unhappy with using the older driver. After fiddling with the timing, it seems to be a little more stable then before. I have spoke with someone who does control4 drivers, he said he maybe willing to work on the driver if enough people show interest.

• 6 months later...

Well my dealer finally hooked this up for me and it is a bust. Seems Pioneer has changed things around and broken C4 drivers for the 1121-k? Am I the only one here with this unit? So I'm stuck with IR control for now, I'm told.

• 1 year later...

I hate to revive such an old thread but I was wondering if anyone was ever able to get the 1021 functioning correctly with an IP driver?

All of my receivers except this one have serial ports and work very well with control4 and I try to stay away from IR drivers when ever possible so it would be nice to not have to scrap this 1021 that I happen to have kicking around.

thank you.

Archived