C4 Forums | Control4

10.5 V2 touch screen won't boot - black screen

Need some help. I have a 10.5 V2 touch screen that will not boot. I have tried a number of things to get to boot. I have held down the power button for 10 seconds. I have taken the flash card out. I have removed the battery and tried with just ac power.

Only the battery light shows when a/c is plugged in. No other lights show up. I've tried it in & out of the docking station.

I've even taken the 2 internal batteries out. I guess they are CMOS batteries.

The battery light is usually amber but recently turned green. I guess it's charged now. Not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Matt. It was set to lock but then I unlocked it and then re-locked it. Now it's booting. :D

Now for the more difficult part of the problem. Unit boots to a black screen.

When I first turn it on, the white Control4 screen comes up with "Please Wait" but never goes to "Loading, Please Wait". Then the BIOS screen displays really fast (less than a second) and then the black screen of death.

I do have a working 10.5 V1 on my project. So I took the CF card from the V1 and put it into the V2. I got it boot all the way to the navigator screen but would not respond to any touch. So I suspect the CF card is corrupt/bad.

I know what everyone is going to say, RMA through your dealer. Since he is no longer in the business and have not needed anything in a while, thought I would turn to the forum for some help.

Question: Does the V1 have a different image than a V2? Can I take a V1 image and then do a USB restore?

I have the USB restore and the unit just gets stuck on the white Control4 "Please Wait" screen. Left it on for over an hour.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

So I'm told that I'll need a new CF card with a V2 image running 1.7.4.36. If anyone has a 10.5 V2 they're willing to sell, let me know. I could use another one.

• 2 weeks later...

Issue resolved. Found a V2 and cloned the CF card. Unit boots fine now and added to project. You don't need Linux to clone the CF card but if you have it and know the commands, good but can be done in Windows.

On another note, good idea to have a backup of the CF card if you plan on moving to Pro. Very easy to go back. Just put in the old card and you're good to go. Buy some spare 512MB CF cards for like $4-$6 bucks.

Ok. Here's the short version. Contact your dealer. LOL. Just kidding. Just had to say that because it's said here so often.

I used EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition (Free) to clone the partition. Yes, it worked on the Linux EX3 partition.

I used a 2GB USB flash drive. Good to have a different size you don't copy over the good partition. You could also copy directly from 1 CF card to another if you have 2 readers but I only had 1.

I placed the CF card into a usb reader and plugged in the 2GB stick. Then launch EASEUS.

Delete the partition on the 2B. Apply the changes.

Click on the CF card(mine was 512MB) and click on Copy Partition. It will ask you where. Select the Unallocated 2GB space. It will only copy over the 512MB space but you don't care about that.

Apply the changes.

Put in the CF card you want to copy to. Make sure its Unallocated. Do the same steps above. Once done, just mark the partition active.

That's it. Put it back in the Touchpanel and you're on whatever version you copied it from. My card was on 1.7 and then I copied over the 1.7.4 partition. Now put that the 2GB usb somewhere safe in case you need it again. I would recommend this for anyone moving to 1.8. The whole reason I posted was because the 10.5 failed an update to 1.8 by someone else. I tried the USB Restore but it wouldn't re-image the CF card so I imaged it from a working unit.

Hope this helps anyone else in the same situation.

BTW, I opened my HTC and it has a USB drive in it. If I ever update in the future, I may also back it up. Not sure about HC-300 but I'll check when I need to.

• 2 weeks later...

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the file. Its in my Dropbox site along with the program I used to write the image to the CF card.

• 2 weeks later...
when i update a 10.5 to 2.1

can i do that from 1.74 ore better usb restore 1.8 and than update?

You can do it from 1.7.4. It isn't a zigbee device, and even if it was, straight to 2.1 is the easier way.

nice way to update :X new image on cf-card, and than a usb restore with 2.1 software.

have done a normal update about 10 times and now luck. well it works now. but strange that it would not update the normal way.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

EASUS is crap if CF cards are of different size (512MB trying to copy partition to 2GB)

My way:

Use: http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/

It allows you to create a image file which you can keep and restore any amount of times to a CF card.

It does sector level copy unlike EASUS partition or other which in my opinion are flaky and don't copy over boot record and MBR....

I did backup of working CF card, then I restored on a 2GB flash card and everything works like a charm.

Archived