C4 Forums | Control4

Lost internet connection on Samsung BluRay Player

I have a Samsung BD-C6500 that was installed into my systen in November. It has Pandora, Netflix, etc. I was able to log on to my Pandora account and use it through the player. Ihave used it a few times since then and it seems to worlk fine. All ofther features of the player work fine. I just got a Netflix account and when I went to set it up last night, the player says that it has no network connection. It is set up as a wired connection and it is set to automatically obtain an IP address subnet mask, etc. I have not unplugged anything or in any way made other changes other than getting a new wireless router a couple of months ago. I don't know if its related to that or not, but since it is set up as a wired connection, it didn't seem like that was the problem.

Any thoughts on a fix?

Have you rebooted your network gear and the bluray player?

Of course not. That would be too easy! I'll try that when I get home. As for the network gear, I presume I would reboot the modem, switch and router?

Rebooted everything and still no connection to the internet. The rest of the network is fine. I tried to switch it from auto to manual, but am not sure if I have the correct settings. Where would I find the proper settings to input them manually?

One way would be to go to command prompt, and to do ipconfig. That will tell you what the basic settings are, than you could try and shot high with in the ip range. If it shows up as 192.168.1.1 begin the gateway and your laptops say 192.168.1.101, then you could try 192.168.1.109 and most likely be safe. It just depends on how many devises you have will dictate how high you have to shot. I was also wondering when you look at the jack on the player, is it lit up at all?

One way would be to go to command prompt, and to do ipconfig. That will tell you what the basic settings are, than you could try and shot high with in the ip range. If it shows up as 192.168.1.1 begin the gateway and your laptops say 192.168.1.101, then you could try 192.168.1.109 and most likely be safe. It just depends on how many devises you have will dictate how high you have to shot. I was also wondering when you look at the jack on the player, is it lit up at all?

Thanks Pixel. I tried to manually input the settings and it takes me a bit farther meaning that instead of immediately telling me I have no Internet connection when I select Netflix (in auto mode) it says connecting to Netflix and then something about titles before it tells me that there is no Internet connection. There are no lights on the jack on the back of the player.

I have been doing some reading and it appears that there may be some mysterious settings on my router that I may need to change. Anyone seen this before?

No lights on the jack = likely a bad connection. Start at the physical layer and use a known good cable and a known good port on your router or switch.

I actually don't see where a light would illuminate on the back of the player. However, I tried to set up the player wirelessly and it now works. Sounds like it may be a cable problem. Only problem is that the cable is a home run from the second floor to the basement. Other than fishing a new cable any way to test it?

Last night my Samsung BD-C5500 suddenly said "no internet connection" when I sat down to watch a movie with the wife and kids (of course). My wife immediately blamed the C4 system which really had nothing to do with it. Couldn't get Blockbuster or Netflix to work. Changed the ethernet cable and even connected to a different port on my switch. Nothing worked. It has always worked since I installed it. Everything else on my network worked fine. My dealer was out today to fix another problem and he reset the network settings on the Samsung and now it works fine (thanks Bryan). The ethernet port does not light up on this model. The optical audio out does have the usual red light. You should start with the network settings. It may have lost its address somehow. Sounds like you may have the same problem I did.

No lights on the jack = likely a bad connection. Start at the physical layer and use a known good cable and a known good port on your router or switch.

I actually don't see where a light would illuminate on the back of the player. However' date=' I tried to set up the player wirelessly and it now works. Sounds like it may be a cable problem. Only problem is that the cable is a home run from the second floor to the basement. Other than fishing a new cable any way to test it?[/quote']

I wonder if you got a new network address from DHCP when you connected wirelessly. You can get a LAN tester for about $20 and test your wire (they are handy to have around).

Last night my Samsung BD-C5500 suddenly said "no internet connection" when I sat down to watch a movie with the wife and kids (of course). My wife immediately blamed the C4 system which really had nothing to do with it. Couldn't get Blockbuster or Netflix to work. Changed the ethernet cable and even connected to a different port on my switch. Nothing worked. It has always worked since I installed it. Everything else on my network worked fine. My dealer was out today to fix another problem and he reset the network settings on the Samsung and now it works fine (thanks Bryan). The ethernet port does not light up on this model. The optical audio out does have the usual red light. You should start with the network settings. It may have lost its address somehow. Sounds like you may have the same problem I did.

Other than attmepting to allow it to configure the wired settings automatically, I can't seem to get the settings correct to do it manually. I used the ip settings that I was able t ascertain from my computer and it recognized the ip but wouldn't make it through the gateway. I'm just not sure how to go about getting the correct settings or if I have them and its a bad cable.

They do sell equipment that can test the wire, I have a really cheap one I got from Radio Shack a while back for $20. Other than that try plugging something else in, a laptop, game console, etc. Have you or your family hung anything new on the walls? I only ask because the wire could have gotten damaged. The other likely issue that could have shown up is that port on your router died. Seems like every Linksys I have ever had, at least one port has died while I was using it.

Archived