C4 Forums | Control4

What is MyMovies

tebery

Thanks Cody.

Questions more specific to C4:

What happens when you press video on the navigator?

Will physical DVD's on a Sony 777 show up?

Where is MyMovies stored? (Does it need a physical PC running it in the background?)

Is it reliable?

thanks again!

Thanks Cody.

Questions more specific to C4:

What happens when you press video on the navigator?

Will physical DVD's on a Sony 777 show up?

Where is MyMovies stored? (Does it need a physical PC running it in the background?)

Is it reliable?

thanks again!

You can have mymovies running on the dune. I think the way james' driver works is that you can set it up to choose the dune, and then browse the movies from My Movies on the dune instead of C4. When you play a movie, it streams it off your nas.

I'm not sure about integrating movies from your 777.

A lot of people use mymovies and are happier with it than Control4's media management. But beware that you can't browse that metadata from other Control4 devices (remotes list nav, touchpanels, etc).

James (diamonddesign) is a better person to ask about that.

You can have mymovies running on the dune..

How do you do that?

I'm doing a similar thing with DuneX, though recent upgrades to that program have left me a bit perplexed. It's getting kinda complicated, and it's all in French...

I'd switch to mymovies, if you can set it up on the Dune, and run it solely on the Dune...

Queue James... Can you now do this easily with your driver? :)

You can have mymovies running on the dune..

How do you do that?

It talks about it and shows it in the link in post #2 :)

I got excited when you said MyMovies could be "running on the Dune" but I think there's a semantic problem here. MyMovies is a still a Windows-only application for managing a media collection, right? There is some level of integration with a Dune, in that MyMovies can be set (via a template) to organize the database in a way that Dune can use in its GUI but the MyMovies application itself does not run on the Dune hardware, you still need a separate Windows system to run MyMovies.

Isn't that correct?

How do you do that?

It talks about it and shows it in the link in post #2 :)

I got excited when you said MyMovies could be "running on the Dune" but I think there's a semantic problem here. MyMovies is a still a Windows-only application for managing a media collection' date=' right? There is some level of integration with a Dune, in that MyMovies can be set (via a template) to organize the database in a way that Dune can use in its GUI but the MyMovies application itself does not run on the Dune hardware, you still need a separate Windows system to run MyMovies.

Isn't that correct?[/quote']

Yes, that's my understanding. I thought that he wanted the gui on the dune vs a pc, which is why I said that.

DuneX is a program that runs on the mac. You point it to the HDD after you mount the Dunes drive in OSX. Then when the library of movie files has been scanned for coverart etc, the program then copies the various coverat files into the movie library for you. So you end up with everything intermixed in your library folder. If you do this correctly, the whole coverart experience can be run straight from the Dune, with out the mac being turned on.

The trouble is if you get the settings of DuneX wrong, or the movie folder structure setup wrong on the Dunes HDD, all chaos breaks loose. DuneX runs havoc and puts all the coverart files in the wrong places, and things dont work. This is a bit of a pain to undo. Deleting 500 coverat files from individual folders is a touch "annoying" :D

Now the program used to be alot simpler. But since a recent upgrade they have added various "tick box choices"....all in French. And there is no wiki to refer too...so things have got a touch more complicated :)

If mymovies could do a similar thing with a movie library on the HDD as what I have described above, no problem, I'd switch. Ive got PC's and Macs. So long as the PC doesnt have to be always on, I'd be sweet...

Deleting 500 coverat files from individual folders is a touch "annoying" :D

One word: Applescript.

Or "rm -rf *.jpg", or whatever extension identifies coverart files. (I joke there -- one better understand "rm" fully before using it or one can end up with an empty hard drive. :( )

Don't MyMovies and DuneX just collect and organize the coverart and other metadata into the proper places in the storage (NAS) and Dune simply reads that information along with the movie files themselves from the storage? Thus once organized, can't both MyMovies and DuneX be shutdown until the next additions need organizing?

Don't MyMovies and DuneX just collect and organize the coverart and other metadata into the proper places in the storage (NAS) and Dune simply reads that information along with the movie files themselves from the storage? Thus once organized, can't both MyMovies and DuneX be shutdown until the next additions need organizing?

EM... DuneX does this, but it doesn't do it very well. And it does it to a library setup on the Dune's Internal HDD. Not a NAS.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a version of MyMovies that puts the metadata within the library on the internal HDD..

BTW. I'm bound to stuff up your Applescript :lol: So If it's OK I'll pass on that one..

Don't MyMovies and DuneX just collect and organize the coverart and other metadata into the proper places in the storage (NAS) and Dune simply reads that information along with the movie files themselves from the storage? Thus once organized' date=' can't both MyMovies and DuneX be shutdown until the next additions need organizing?[/quote']

EM... DuneX does this, but it doesn't do it very well. And it does it to a library setup on the Dune's Internal HDD. Not a NAS.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a version of MyMovies that puts the metadata within the library on the internal HDD..

BTW. I'm bound to stuff up your Applescript :lol: So If it's OK I'll pass on that one..

But Dune can read all the metadata from a NAS media server that had previously been assembled onto that NAS by MyMovies, even if MyMovies is not currently running? And DuneX can only work with the Dune's internal HDD, not a NAS? Crazy.

Applescript is incredibly powerful but often frustratingly obtuse, so I was suggesting that *you* could write it, not *I*. Traversing a directory, deleting certain kinds of file is pretty simple...you could find samples. Recursively traversing arbitrary levels of subdirectories, not so simple, but I remember seeing examples of it in the past. You could probably do it with Automator which can be easier for many things and also allows you to include Applescript to do things that Automator can't do directly.

Actually, MyMovies does most of what you're talking about.

The collection manager can be used to create a library of all your movies stored on any NAS storage you have access to. This library can be stored on a USB key or the local dune HDD, and then can be accessed from the Dune menu. And if the Dune is on the same network as the NAS, and can "see" it, you can access and run movies from it. This is exactly how I'm using it.

What you can't do without a hosting PC or Mac is integrated with things like the 777. The reason here is that you need the host PC to "control" the 777, much like you need C4 to control it when using the C4 interface. The library running on the Dune is great for 100% digital content, but if you are integrating with an actual disk player, you need the PC to control the integration.

• 2 weeks later...

If you set mymovies up properly, the PC doesn't need to be turned on at all to work. The cover art and index is on the dune. The only time the PC needs to run is to change the index, add movies, etc.

With the driver, you can actually use both c4 and mymovies as you choose, i.e., you can use c4 on one movie and when its done use mymovies for the next, you don't have to make a permanent choice. C4 is a few seconds faster (1 less step) but it may be beneficial to use mymovies for the fancy cover art to show off when you have friends over :)

Archived