C4 Forums | Control4

Water feature automation

jacdx

Hey,

I need to hook a large water feature into C4. The goal is to be able to schedule when each pump runs and to be able to do that without having to go out to the subpanel.

Right now, there are two pumps, switched by circuit breakers, 1 pair of 20amp breakers for each pump. The first pair of breakers switches pump 1 directly. The 2nd feeds into a 3-phase inverter that runs the 2nd pump. The subpanel is 150-200 ft away from the house.

This looks like a potential solution: http://www.cardaccess-inc.com/automation/products/index.php?a=details&i=8

But it's specs don't go up to 40amps (2x20amp breakers), which I assume I need.

Thoughts / hints?

Yeah, that's what I would do. Get a heavy duty relay that is power rated, that is activated with a 12V trigger. Then use a standard card access relay to open/close the other relay...should be pretty straight forward.

You may not need the full 40 amps. Your pumps should have id plates on them, these will tell you what they need. If no tags, then just use an amp meter with a max hold. Then just simply start the pump and see what the max draw is after an hour or so of run time.

Yeah, that's what I would do. Get a heavy duty relay that is power rated, that is activated with a 12V trigger. Then use a standard card access relay to open/close the other relay...should be pretty straight forward.

Is this something any electrician should understand, heavy duty relays/contactors? Commercial electrician maybe?

Ok PART 2 of this question: I've got a sprinkler valve on a timer (all by itself) that serves to fill the water feature tank. This is a terrible solution, since you can never time it right...always underfilling or overfilling. Any pointers on some time of level monitor that could be wired up to the valve? I'm assuming there would be something I could stick inside the tank near the top. Hopefully I can get rid of the timer. Bonus points if it hooks into C4. :)

Archived