C4 Forums | Control4

Fun and creative new use for the system I found...

ILoveC4

Very cool. Can the location show up on the TV GUI as well as the touch panels?

I rarely go out by myself and never before sunrise, but the majority of the places I go around here do not have cell service (mountains) since I'm not a road bike person. So I didn't think it would be useful for me personally but then I realized that the satellite-based SPOT device I'm debating buying sends emails so the email driver solution would work great.

My wife would normally be awake when I'm out, but would not typically be checking email very frequently. I assume it could play a specified announcement too, telling her to check her email to get my GPS coordinates and send appropriate help because there's something like your mechanical problem, or even a minor injury, or else just letting her know that someone is injured and that the search and rescue team was notified by that same email.

Very cool. Can the location show up on the TV GUI as well as the touch panels?

I rarely go out by myself and never before sunrise, but the majority of the places I go around here do not have cell service (mountains) since I'm not a road bike person. So I didn't think it would be useful for me personally but then I realized that the satellite-based SPOT device I'm debating buying sends emails so the email driver solution would work great.

My wife would normally be awake when I'm out, but would not typically be checking email very frequently. I assume it could play a specified announcement too, telling her to check her email to get my GPS coordinates and send appropriate help because there's something like your mechanical problem, or even a minor injury, or else just letting her know that someone is injured and that the search and rescue team was notified by that same email.

Check out Garmin GTU. I have one that I ride on long rides, but usually don't take it with me for anything under ~100 miles. I can tell my wife where I'm going, and setup "Geo fences" that trigger an alert when I pass through them. It sends her a text message and let's her know, and she can also log in to an interface on the computer and track me that way.

On July 9th I rode from Seattle to Portland, and setup 7 or 8 areas along the way that it would notify her when I passed through. That way my family could see where I was at and how I was doing without me having to call them all the time.

It was about $200 if I remember right, and about $40 a year for the service. It works great.

Check out Garmin GTU. I have one that I ride on long rides, but usually don't take it with me for anything under ~100 miles. I can tell my wife where I'm going, and setup "Geo fences" that trigger an alert when I pass through them. It sends her a text message and let's her know, and she can also log in to an interface on the computer and track me that way.

That's an interesting device for things like your road trips. I like that idea, but I need the SPOT because all my recreational travels are off-road into the mountains where there's almost never any cell service.

"Into the mountains ....". Uh, everything's relative: I live at 8000 feet in a sparsely-populated high valley. But it's surrounded by mountain ranges of 12,000-14,000 feet. Though it's a valley because of the surrounding Rockies, it's still pretty hilly. There are dead spots all over, either from hills or from gaps in the cells.

BTW, there's a bike race through here in a few weeks? USA Pro Cycling Challenge, Aug 22. Oh, I see Stage 1 comes almost down my driveway (actually about a mile away down the hill). I guess I should ride my mountain bike down to watch some of it.

So why not have the email fire off an announcement agent instead of all that other programming that pops up a message stating to call you and plays a sound clip? Cool idea though.

I just want to make sure that noise and chaos continues until the person I'm targeting with my "attack" is awake and in another part of the house. =)

I can guarantee you my wife could sleep through an announcement...she can't sleep through this. The volume continues to get louder as time goes on...it could wake the dead if it went on for more than about 90 seconds...LOL.

Archived