C4 Forums | Control4

"World's First Dimmable Outlet..."

spugh

Liability....

Is that "Lamps Only" written large enough, or multi-lingual for the cleaning crew or guests in your home, who plugs you $$$$ Dyson vaccuum into it and blows the motor for only getting 75% juice.

Is it next to the bed and you kill your lap top by unknowingly plugging into it.

Is it fool proof and idiot proof.....thats the question

I dont see C4 building one anytime soon...

Just my 2 cents.

Liability....

Is that "Lamps Only" written large enough, or multi-lingual for the cleaning crew or guests in your home, who plugs you $$$$ Dyson vaccuum into it and blows the motor for only getting 75% juice.

Is it next to the bed and you kill your lap top by unknowingly plugging into it.

Just my 2 cents.

That's a good point nawty, and one that I hadn't thought off. You would certainly want to setup some defaults so that it is at MAX power on startup, and the only time you can lower the power down is when there's an existing load. Then after you turn it off, when it turns on next time it would be at max power.

I wonder if people are envisioning these as something where you adjust the power output more permanently, and do the on/off with the actual lamp? I don't know. You did raise a good point though.

I’ve gotta give them credit for a very creative solution to the code issues associated with dimming receptacles.

Looks like they’ve placed a key which you would need to place on the lamp to avoid the unforeseen :)

Pretty cool stuff..

Matt

Liability....

Just my 2 cents.

+1. thats what the wireless outlet products are for.

I’ve gotta give them credit for a very creative solution to the code issues associated with dimming receptacles.

Looks like they’ve placed a key which you would need to place on the lamp to avoid the unforeseen :)

Pretty cool stuff..

Matt

I didn't look that closely at it. I guess that "dimmer key" is how you get around the problem nawty mentioned.

That is cool. Control4...pay attention =)

Archived