C4 Forums | Control4

CAT 5 location for wall mount TV

tbear1

I have a location that needs to have all of the connections on the wall behind the TV. What solutions have people used in a location such as this? It doesn't seem necessary to put in RG-6 plus 4 cat 5 connections. I can't mount that much hardware back there. An RG-9 plus two cat 5 outlets seems appropriate. Am I missing something?

Glenn

I have a location that needs to have all of the connections on the wall behind the TV. What solutions have people used in a location such as this? It doesn't seem necessary to put in RG-6 plus 4 cat 5 connections. I can't mount that much hardware back there. An RG-9 plus two cat 5 outlets seems appropriate. Am I missing something?

Glenn

you say, " All of the connections" please let us know exactly how many conections your TV has.

Why are you using RG9?

Two cat 5's can do alot, but they cannot hook up "all of your connections"

Brent

One will always think that it is enough until it is not :)

If it is just a coax into the tv and control a cat5 and an RG6 will do.maybe add another Cat5 for network as most TVs are now network enabled. If you are doing distributed video, HC200 behind the TV you should have 2 x Cat6, 1 cat5 for network and 1RG6.

optimally, I would suggest 2 x cat6 shielded, 2 x cat5 and 2 x RG6. This should handle almost anything the average person would possibly want to throw at it. If it were my house I would throw a piece of fiber in there as well and upgrade all category wire to shielded Cat6.

Glenn

you say' date=' " All of the connections" please let us know exactly how many conections your TV has.

Why are you using RG9?

Two cat 5's can do alot, but they cannot hook up "all of your connections"

Brent[/quote']

I was referring to hdmi and IR control from a structured wiring position. No use for rg6 but resale. I don,t need Bluray or anything else because it is in a kitchen.

Thanks.

Glenn

If it is just a coax into the tv and control a cat5 and an RG6 will do.maybe add another Cat5 for network as most TVs are now network enabled. If you are doing distributed video, HC200 behind the TV you should have 2 x Cat6, 1 cat5 for network and 1RG6.

optimally, I would suggest 2 x cat6 shielded, 2 x cat5 and 2 x RG6. This should handle almost anything the average person would possibly want to throw at it. If it were my house I would throw a piece of fiber in there as well and upgrade all category wire to shielded Cat6.

How does the HC200 factor into distributed video? Do I need one for each TV if I am doing distributed video? This is mainly a tv to watch the news in the morning in the kitchen. I don,t want to waste money there when I can better use it somewhere else.

Thanks.

Glenn

If it is just a coax into the tv and control a cat5 and an RG6 will do.maybe add another Cat5 for network as most TVs are now network enabled. If you are doing distributed video' date=' HC200 behind the TV you should have 2 x Cat6, 1 cat5 for network and 1RG6.

optimally, I would suggest 2 x cat6 shielded, 2 x cat5 and 2 x RG6. This should handle almost anything the average person would possibly want to throw at it. If it were my house I would throw a piece of fiber in there as well and upgrade all category wire to shielded Cat6.[/quote']

How does the HC200 factor into distributed video? Do I need one for each TV if I am doing distributed video? This is mainly a tv to watch the news in the morning in the kitchen. I don,t want to waste money there when I can better use it somewhere else.

Thanks.

Glenn

The couple of hundred dollars you might save (if that) could lead to serious roadblocks in the future. Play it safe. The cost wil go up 10x our more once you finish the house if you try and add it later.

If it is just a coax into the tv and control a cat5 and an RG6 will do.maybe add another Cat5 for network as most TVs are now network enabled. If you are doing distributed video' date=' HC200 behind the TV you should have 2 x Cat6, 1 cat5 for network and 1RG6.

optimally, I would suggest 2 x cat6 shielded, 2 x cat5 and 2 x RG6. This should handle almost anything the average person would possibly want to throw at it. If it were my house I would throw a piece of fiber in there as well and upgrade all category wire to shielded Cat6.[/quote']

Thanks.

Glenn

The HC200 is for the on screen display (OSD), Control of the TV and a zigbee access point if needed. The HC200 is not necessarily needed depending on your setup, but if you go by the Control4 book on things every TV should have one.

If TV is all you want in the kitchen just run 2 Cat6, 1 Cat5 and 1 RG6 or 3 x Cat5 and 1 RG6. This should be fine.

Archived