C4 Forums | Control4

EV Sonos music pitch drifting

Hey all,

I've got a strange issue. When playing music via EV Sonos, occasionally the pitch of the music will drift up for a few seconds, then back down to normal. I'm talking maybe an octave. It's happened enough that I consider it a persistent issue. Anyone have this issue? I haven't done much debugging yet. I've been listening to Pandora and Last.fm. I have confirmed that it happens in more than one zone. The frequency is approx once per hour.

Here's how things are connected:

ZP90 -> HC-300c -> c4-16ch amp -> in-ceilings

Hey all,

I've got a strange issue. When playing music via EV Sonos, occasionally the pitch of the music will drift up for a few seconds, then back down to normal. I'm talking maybe an octave. It's happened enough that I consider it a persistent issue. Anyone have this issue? I haven't done much debugging yet. I've been listening to Pandora and Last.fm. I have confirmed that it happens in more than one zone. The frequency is approx once per hour.

Here's how things are connected:

ZP90 -> HC-300c -> c4-16ch amp -> in-ceilings

It is most likely the HC300 when it digitizes the music. I have heard them do this before but I have never heard a sonos unit do that. Is there a reason that the system was setup going through the HC300 first and not directly into the amp?

One reason could be the OP has speakerpoints installed in addition to the 16Ch amp and wants Sonos available at the SpeakerPoints, too, in the same time domain as the 16Ch amp (that is, there won't be any lag from, say, an amp-driven speaker compared to a speakerpoint-driven speaker.)

No speakerpoints in the equation. The reason the Sonos is hooked up to the HC-300c is so that I can stream the music to other controllers in zones with receivers. That's not working that well, since the timing is off when I try to play a receiver zone and a C4 amp zone at the same time, but that's a different issue.

So what good is music streaming from controller to controller if there are timing issues and pitch drift issues? Am I really going to have to somehow run speaker-level outs from the c4 amp to each receiver (so that I can connect the Sonos directly to the amp) in order to eliminate these issues?

First, what version are you on?

Second, do you have ntp available on your network (through your ISP?).

Usually, streaming changing pace / out of sync is due to the network not having a working NTP protocol setup, as Control4 requires that the clocks on all the controllers participating in the streaming to be exactly the same.

Just some things your dealer can look at to try and diagnose the issue.

RyanE

Ok, I understand how the system is using NTP better. NTP appears to be working normally on the master controller (HC-1000):

*private.ssl119. .CDMA. 1 u 810 1024 377 58.538 0.684 8.517

mirror 204.9.54.119 2 u 36 1024 377 56.159 0.559 0.300

+cheezum.mattnor 24.56.178.140 2 u 151 1024 377 50.986 -1.942 0.125

+framboise.hoopy 70.84.160.232 2 u 148 1024 377 79.595 -0.244 0.426

...and the controller that the Sonos is connected to (HC-300c)

*director 204.9.54.119 2 u 2 128 377 0.222 0.886 0.009

Archived