C4 Forums | Control4

design question: audio matrix vs a/v matrix

jacdx

Hey all,

It looks like I need a C4 audio matrix to solve a couple of audio issues I have. Now, I'm looking down the road and I know that I'm going to want to have centralized video sources (dune, roku, satellite boxes, etc) at some point and will need an A/V matrix. Hopefully the HDMI matrix situation will be solved by then and we'll have some solid cost-effective solutions. In the mean time, if I get a C4 audio matrix now for my centralized audio sources (Sonos, etc), would it get replaced by the A/V matrix late? Or do these two pieces typically co-exist in a large system, e.g. one for A/V sources and the C4 matrix for audio-only sources?

If you have Sonos, you may not need an audio matrix. You can stream to each audio zone. So yes it's complimentary (and separate) to a future HDMI A/V matrix...Sonos would handle pure music. And the HDMI matrix will handle all the A/V distribution (TV/Movies etc.....)

Tricky question to ask without knowing your setup but both could coexist in the same system. You could do an audio matrix now and add in just a video matrix later no problem. You've got the right idea thinking ahead like this though.

HDMI matrix solutions are still a ways out if you have quite a few video zones. There are a few cost effect 4x4 switches out there at the moment. I wouldn't let waiting on HDMI to come down to hold me back from throwing in an analog switcher though.

Archived