C4 Forums | Control4

Dune with MyMovies

Anyone using a Dune with MyMovies? I'm having a difficult time getting everything working correctly. I have been on the MyMovies website as well as MPC and haven't had much luck there. I have read some posts on here that were related and was hoping to find someone to provide some direction.

I have my movie collection on a NAS. All my file types are .iso (both BD and DVD). I am able to play all movies through the Dune, however, I cannot get anything to work through MyMovies. I can see all the movies, so I thought I had the UNC paths set correctly, but I'm not sure now. I can pull up the movie information OK, but when I go to play the movie I get a: "Failed to open URL" dialogue box.

The path to my movie collection is \\DISKSTATION\Synology\Movies\ and to my index it's \\DISKSTATION\Synology\Movies\My Movies\.

Under the disc icon in CM there are a location type and location (side A) entries. I assume that the Online (folder) needs to point to the network folder and the Online (file) needs to point to my .iso. Both of those are similar to the paths listed above.

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Are you trying to store the my movies dune index on the nas as well. If so this does not work, something to do with not being ale to mount a device more than once. You need to put the index on a different server (as I have done) or on a small ssd or USB stick in the dune itself, ie a different location to the media.

^ exactly right. I would also recommend a USB flash stick partitioned for system storage and file storage (2 partitions). An 8gb stick, 4gb for system storage and 4gb for file storage will work well. Your index will be placed on the file storage partition. Your MyMovies PC will be configured to write the Dune index to that partition via the network.

Here's the doc:

http://dune-hd.com/firmware/usb_flash_drive/

Are you trying to store the my movies dune index on the nas as well. If so this does not work, something to do with not being ale to mount a device more than once. You need to put the index on a different server (as I have done) or on a small ssd or USB stick in the dune itself, ie a different location to the media.

Not quite true. Mine is setup on the same NAS and works perfectly. You just need to have a Share folder for the MyMovies index and one for the media.

The instructions suck. I'm rewriting them in an easier to understand format with a focus on C4. Both setups (NAS or local) should work fine. You may try deleting and recreating your index. The problem enzeder mentions is that SMB has issues with using two different directories at one time. Your locations should actually work though. Some use SMB for movies and NFS or some other system for index, etc. However, I think your format should work as you've listed it.

^ Unless you have multiple Dunes in your project and need a strategy for distributing the index to multiple players (one solution as listed above). There is a performance advantage to having the index local to the Dune player itself (read on flash storage).

I have 8gb mem stick that I partitioned but it would not let me format for system storage only 4gb it wants to reformat the whole stick.

I would love instructions on how to put the Dune Index on Memory Stick..........PLEASE, with sugar on top.

I have tried the index on a usb stick in the Dune (using the link in post 3) beofre, but I was getting crashes creating the index. When I finally got one good index I still had the same problem. That's when I tried the index on my NAS. Is there a way to create the index on a local harddrive and then move to the usb and just change a path somewhere? I also have only one Dune.

The thing is I have the green check next to my Path configuration (as well as two other entries with a red x that I cannot delete). But the one with the green check is the one to my NAS drive with the path: \\DISKSTATION\Synology\Movies\. My Dune Index Location path is the same: \\DISKSTATION\Synology\Movies\. Or should the June Index Location read: \\DISKSTATION\Synology\Movies\My Movies\ instead?

Another item that was mentioned was NFS or SMB. I was using NFS (and still had the green check under path configuration). I can try SMB, which I haven't done before. Would there be a difference here? Also, would you still be having problems with the URL even if you can see the cover art and movie description, etc.? I was thinking not.

By the way, I've also deleted and re-created my index about 10 times.

Thanks for the continued assistance. Any other thoughts?

I just got the mem stick set up working with 8gb.

I used MiniTool Partition 7.0 (its free) to partition USB Stick into 2. One FAT32 w/ drive letter and the other EXT3 (over 4 gb).

Then I placed into my Dune 3.0 and initialized storage on FAT32 portion. Other portion shows up as USB storage. I enable SMB Server in Application Settings. Then I goto WIN7 MM Collection Management software Tools >Options > Metadata Storage > Dune. Index Path browse to the Dune on your network, you should see USB Storage, select. Then Apply and hit Update. It will now move the Index to the Dune, more movies the longer it takes. Now select the folder in USB storage and my movies should work.

And thank you Dave for your help.

I see a drawback........while USB stick is faster for Dune menu I am having issues titles updating now. I am assuming this is becuase before I was using backend WHS Server Add-in to control and update database index for Dune, but I get an error " you must select a path below a share" when I try to set it up that way. It only works from USb stick if I set it up From WIN7 Collection Management software and then my Desktop is involved in the work. Work I want my server to be doing........anybody know how to fix that?

I tried setting everything up with SMB instead of nfs, but here is what I am seeing now. When I access the Dune, I can click on SMB, then the workgroup and then my server (DISKSTATION), but the folder where my movies and the MyMovies folder with my index does not show up. After access the server, the folder says (empty). I do not have files hidden either.

I tried looking at access and share privileges, but nothing jumps out at me to indicate there is a problem.

Any suggestions now?

I tried SMB and couldn't get that to work. I updated my online (folders) and got some of the movies to play so I think it's a matter of going in and updating each movie to ensure it has the correct link to the movie folder. Not sure why it didn't work before (something must have been off).

Thanks for all the help and confirmation that my setup should have worked.

I tried SMB and couldn't get that to work. I updated my online (folders) and got some of the movies to play so I think it's a matter of going in and updating each movie to ensure it has the correct link to the movie folder. Not sure why it didn't work before (something must have been off).

Thanks for all the help and confirmation that my setup should have worked.

you need to clean your metadata........Below where you hit update. Hit CLEAN first.

I'll try that.

Another question for you..... when I tried to re-index it hung up about 75% into the index and then crashed CM. I determined it was one specific movie, but I can find nothing wrong with the setup or the movie. So for the time being I have moved it out of my database. Is there any way to tell if there is something wrong with a movie or the setup of said movie before it goes through 30-60 minutes of re-indexing only to crash?

Also, do you have to re-index everytime you add a new movie? It takes forever and I was hoping to find a way to avoid having to do this all the time.

Your help is appreciated.

Something could be wrong with the folder or info in it for that specific movie.

Hit the CLEAN function.....let it run....then hit UPDATE (delete the index folder first MyMovies).....then it should update automatically everytime you add a movie. You are using folder monitoring, and it watching the right folder?

Archived