C4 Forums | Control4

Should this be ok with a dealer?

me23

Ok, just visited a magnolia store in Best Buy and I was checking so see if I could just buy the devices and put on my best buy card and earn a bunch of reward zone points.

He said yes, they would just ship it to me. I definitely dont want best buy to find just anyone to install it. So if I go to a good authorized dealer and tell them I already have several devices, he could install them for me.

Would that be ok or will the dealer be mad that I didnt purchase the devices through him? Just curious what the dealers here thought about it.

Ok, just visited a magnolia store in Best Buy and I was checking so see if I could just buy the devices and put on my best buy card and earn a bunch of reward zone points.

He said yes, they would just ship it to me. I definitely dont want best buy to find just anyone to install it. So if I go to a good authorized dealer and tell them I already have several devices, he could install them for me.

Would that be ok or will the dealer be mad that I didnt purchase the devices through him? Just curious what the dealers here thought about it.

Don't think you should do that. Find a dealer and get a bid from them.

My dealer usually does not care if I get it through them or not. I would certainly tell them what you plan on purchasing as some TVs and other devices don't have drivers built for them. Had a sound bar that was killer but could not be controlled through C4 - had to go with BOSE - nice - but the other was cheaper.

Ok' date=' just visited a magnolia store in Best Buy and I was checking so see if I could just buy the devices and put on my best buy card and earn a bunch of reward zone points.

Would that be ok or will the dealer be mad that I didnt purchase the devices through him? Just curious what the dealers here thought about it.[/quote']

Don't think you should do that. Find a dealer and get a bid from them.

I agree with Hooked, get a few dealers to bid on your install with equipment and labour. Unless he can't give you the same price as what you are getting it fom Magnolia. I'd even go even as far to pay a little more for the equipment from the same dealer that will do the work. Be generous with your dealer as long as you are not being gouged. He will be your new best friend.

A good dealer could aso advise you on the right equipment to buy and possibly save you headache and money. Good Luck in finding a good one though just because they have a C4 logo it does not mean they know what they are doing. I've gone through a few.

In all honesty I think you're better off buying it from the dealer that will install it.

Think about this. The dealer makes margin on the equipment. If he tells you what to buy and you buy it from Magnolia, then he installs it, he is doing the same amount of work as if he sold you the equipment but without the margin from the equipment. If you have an equipment problem he can't help you with replacement, he needs to refer you to Best Buy. I would also imagine you'll pay more for programming than you would if you'd purchased it from him because again, he didn't make any margin on the equipment. If he has determined how much net profit he needs for every man hour spent (which I'm sure he has if he's a decent business person) then he will HAVE to charge more for programming because that equipment margin isn't there.

Forget about the $500 in Reward Zone certificates you'd get and buy it all from the installing dealer. If you feel like it, explain what you're giving up by buying it from him and ask for a discount equal to the amount of reward zone certificates you would earn.

Ok' date=' just visited a magnolia store in Best Buy and I was checking so see if I could just buy the devices and put on my best buy card and earn a bunch of reward zone points.

Would that be ok or will the dealer be mad that I didnt purchase the devices through him? Just curious what the dealers here thought about it.[/quote']

In all honesty I think you're better off buying it from the dealer that will install it.

Think about this. The dealer makes margin on the equipment. If he tells you what to buy and you buy it from Magnolia, then he installs it, he is doing the same amount of work as if he sold you the equipment but without the margin from the equipment. If you have an equipment problem he can't help you with replacement, he needs to refer you to Best Buy. I would also imagine you'll pay more for programming than you would if you'd purchased it from him because again, he didn't make any margin on the equipment. If he has determined how much net profit he needs for every man hour spent (which I'm sure he has if he's a decent business person) then he will HAVE to charge more for programming because that equipment margin isn't there.

Forget about the $500 in Reward Zone certificates you'd get and buy it all from the installing dealer. If you feel like it, explain what you're giving up by buying it from him and ask for a discount equal to the amount of reward zone certificates you would earn.

Dan, great explanation...

Archived