C4 Forums | Control4

Fast forward and rewind on 10.5 touch screen.

roger

When using the audio controller on the 10.5 touch screen, there is no

fast forward or rewind. I want to able to get to those parts of songs i like

instead of waiting for them sometimes. Does anyone else agree with me??

I thought it would be a handy thing to have, the interface for the DVD controls has got it,

but not the audio controller for the music media. Is there any way i can fast forward

or rewind?? Will C4 be adding this feature at some stage??

It's not in the current 1.3.x version of product - I know it's been asked for and I believe a feature request was submitted - we may or may not see it in the future (though I hope we do). :)

roger,

I assume you are talking about the "Control4® Wireless Touch Screen Version 2"? I have no answers, but can you answer a couple questions?

I am thinking of buying this - how does it function? Is it fast enough for your when pulling up cover art or switching rooms? What is your impression? Worth it or not?

Also, it says Version 2 on the website - what does this mean? (OK, I'm not an idiot, I understand there must have been a version 1 - hence version 2, but what changed between versions? hardware or software or both?)

Thanks!

panamagixxer,

The v.1 touchpanel was recently discontinued in favor of the v.2 10.5" touchpanel.

The biggest differences are that the v.2 is a bit faster processor, as well as having 4 additional hard buttons that can be used for programming within the Control4 system. The battery life has been improved as well.

Another difference is that the v.2 touchpanel comes with the docking station for the panel included, where the older version, it was an add-on. You can still purchase additional docking stations and batteries as add-ons for the v.2.

v.2 10.5" touchpanels should be shipping by the end of the month.

Both the v.1 and v.2 touchpanels' speed is improved by the upcoming 1.3.2 maintenance release, and it's quite a dramatic improvement, so asking roger's impression may be a bit misleading after the 1.3.2 release... I'd suggest you go see a v.2 touchpanel at a dealer after their upgrading to 1.3.2.

Cheers.

RyanE

panamagixxer,

The v.1 touchpanel was recently discontinued in favor of the v.2 10.5" touchpanel.

The biggest differences are that the v.2 is a bit faster processor, as well as having 4 additional hard buttons that can be used for programming within the Control4 system. The battery life has been improved as well.

Another difference is that the v.2 touchpanel comes with the docking station for the panel included, where the older version, it was an add-on. You can still purchase additional docking stations and batteries as add-ons for the v.2.

v.2 10.5" touchpanels should be shipping by the end of the month.

Both the v.1 and v.2 touchpanels' speed is improved by the upcoming 1.3.2 maintenance release, and it's quite a dramatic improvement, so asking roger's impression may be a bit misleading after the 1.3.2 release... I'd suggest you go see a v.2 touchpanel at a dealer after their upgrading to 1.3.2.

Cheers.

RyanE

RyanE,

Will price be the same?

thanks

To the dealers - my system ended up costing me $55K. As a dealer, given my investment, would you let a customer (me) borrow one for a week or so to determine if I want to purchase it? The installe I'm working with is average size (not sure on my ability to guess average size, but they have 60 full time employees on the payroll with a pretty impressive showroom) - I only say this because I don't think the investment would dent their cash flow.

Your thoughts?

This assumes the 10.5 is plug & play - basically, from reading the website, it seems that all you need to do is power up the 10.5 and it will communicate and "load" everything without a dealer being involved? Is this the case?

Also, is there anywhere that I can find screen shots of the 10.5 - this might let me know the capabilities of the "remote".

Hi panamagixxer,

I have the version 1 touch screen at home.

Its a great piece of equipment, much more fun to use than a remote control, and the

graphics are good. It's impressive. I keep it in my kitchen.

Negatives....It can be a bit slow, takes a while to scroll through cover art if you're searching under albums, and takes time to respond even though it's full strength signal. This confuses some of my guests at home

when they are playing with it. They will press the screen once, and then again several times because it takes a second to respond, then before you know it they've perfomed several actions without actually wanting to. So i have to tell them to press and wait a second because it will respond. I have heard though that the new software updates have improved the speed, but i am currently waiting on that to be installed. In general it's not that slow, but it's not that fast either. And yes my battery life is only an hour, so i always keep it in the dock. I've read that the new v2 has better battery life though.

So those are the negatives with version 1, (also no fast forward or rewind sux), but even with those negatives, i LOVE it :) It's cool thing to have and makes things easier than using the remote because it's more graphical and shows a lot more. Changing rooms using the touch screen is a bit slow too, takes about 10 seconds.

Still a great piece of equipment. No regrets at all. Love it, can't wait to see if the new software will speed things up a bit. Yes i do recommend it, but then again it depends what you will put up with. All my guests who have seen it love it. I love it too.

Longer battery and faster response would make it perfect.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Roger

Roger,

I am pretty sure you'll be pleased with the 1.3.2 release, if you like your 10.5" wi-fi touchscreen.

Should eliminate most of the 'I pressed it, why isn't it doing anything' issues. Still an issue with long lists, but room switches also should be a bit faster.

Panamagixxer,

That really depends on the dealer.

It's not *completely* plug-n-play, you would normally add the driver into the system and identify the device, although it might work without it (selecting just the master controller in the director page).

I'd ask the dealer you've been working with if they could loan you one, maybe they'd go for it. Who knows?

RyanE

Archived