C4 Forums | Control4

Upgrade a couple controllers?

So reading some of the posts, I am hearing upgrading a 1000 to 800 won't do much (plus I heard, wait until they are out there to see speed increases in the real world - good advice).

I have two areas that I use on-screen navigation, my theater room and my family room. Every other place (12 TVs) we use the remote.

I have a 300 in the theater and a 500 in the family room. Would it make sense to go to a 250 in the theater and move the 300 to the family room?

Or is 300 still faster? I could always replace both of them with 250s?

Thoughts?

So reading some of the posts, I am hearing upgrading a 1000 to 800 won't do much (plus I heard, wait until they are out there to see speed increases in the real world - good advice).

I don't believe this. You still need a HC300/300C/200 that only has a ~300 - ~400 Mhz CPU. I'm pretty sure upgrading a 1000 to 800 will make a huge difference especially if you plan on using onscreen nav.

Or is 300 still faster?

Faster than a HC250? Hell no. HC300 is ~300Mhz. HC250 is 1 Ghz.

But honestly, do you think that this matters to most? My 300s put up the OSD within a reasonable amount of time. Other than OSD and lists, there is not much reason to dump useable controllers and cash on new ones. I clearly see myself waiting until my controllers die before spending on their new stuff. New clients are what they are after anyways. That'll never change.

I hear you, but I am one of the few that will upgrade for speed on the two TVs that I use the on screen display - primarily to select a movie using cover art (have 750 on WHS). So it looks like going to 250 on both those and replacing the old equipment with my existing 500 and 300 is the way to go.

I hear you, but I am one of the few that will upgrade for speed on the two TVs that I use the on screen display - primarily to select a movie using cover art (have 750 on WHS). So it looks like going to 250 on both those and replacing the old equipment with my existing 500 and 300 is the way to go.

Half of me says do it. It's probably a selfish thing though as I would like to know what tangible improvement there is with the new offerings.

I'm going to add a HC800 to my system when it comes out. Right now I'm just running a single HC300 on 1.7. No HC1000, it costs too much :).

I'm upgrading primarily for 2.X and onscreen nav for movies from a Dune player and a Sony 400 disc DVD changer but if it handles my music collection well enough that's a bonus.

Archived