C4 Forums | Control4

MP3 Bit Rate?

I am a recent Control4 user and I am very happy with the system. One issue I have found is the Media Controller balking at playing some of my podcasts. I checked them and they are mp3 files. The only difference is the ones it does not like are sampled at 80 kpbs. Is this a common problem or am I missing something?

PS. This is a great forum and very helpful.

Not that I'm aware of - but I've never tried anything that low. I'm fairly certain I remember in other posts that there is no limitation to the kpbs. I know for sure - higher rated files are fine (we rip everything at 320).

• 2 weeks later...

VERY WORRIED about this post - C4 PREMIER installer loaded latest firware (1.3.2?) and this corrupted all my media files. Solution (their's and the geniuses at C4) was to clear all audio (<7000 tracks) and copy to external drive and reload. That was all OK but (as with others I note) then lost all cover art. Reason they say is that ripped at 320 has filled memory on media controller. So, latest suggestion is to use an external drive to hold music and drive on media controller for art. Will this work or will I have the same issues as this gentleman where it times out??:mad:

I am currently using the Media Controller with 80gb for my music. Before I installed my system in my new house, I used the Media Controller in my rental to get used to the equipment. At that time, I was using a USB 500 gb hard drive for my 30,000 songs. It worked well, but I found I only listed to a handful of music - let's say 40 gb worth of music is all I ever payed attention to. That is why I decided to just use the 80gb of storage on the media controller. For me, it has worked well both ways - never had any major problems? Never timed out etc. Most of my issues were due to my ignorance at the beginning. I guess I am one of the happy people with a great installation company with fantasic service. My overall install was about $55K. They just came out and installed a Wii into my rack two days ago (kid at heart and a great party system to play when everyone is drunk) - again, a great install.

Sorry for your issues!

I have my music on a server in the basement, never times out.

I would think that USB should be as fast or faster, shouldn't be a problem. I know plenty of installations use USB-attached hard drives for just that reason. The one thing to watch out for is that certain USB enclosures don't work as well as others. I don't have a list of the ones that work well, but there's a thread on the Control4 forums that your dealer can take a look at for that info.

RyanE

Archived