C4 Forums | Control4

Apple TV as Media Player with C4

My technical knowledge is at best low....so.....

A good friend with a C4 system (TV's, audio, lighting) is looking at a digital video library and video media player for his system. I suggested my setup, ReadyNAS Pioneer Pro with Netgear Eva's, or the Dune, but a "third party programmer" told him he could use the apple tv as an integrated media player.

Can apple TV be used as a media player, like the EVA9150 or Dune ? Can it be integrated, i.e. covert art et al on Navigator ?

Thank you in advance.

If he's a big user of iTunes, then its a great solution.

Our family uses iTunes for all our music and a bunch of movies.

I have an appletv (original) that syncs with my computer so all music is available for whole-home audio. I also use the extra vegetables driver.

we have an appletv also connected in the main stereo, i use the c4 remote in place of the apple remote. works very nice.

I am also a big user of AppleTV. If your customer wants access to a bunch of movies, they could also use handbrake and rip them to the iTunes computer and they will be accessible in the AppleTV. With the extra Vegetables driver all those movies are in the Control4 database and selectable from the media library of the Control4 GUI. The movie plays immediately without even seeing the AppleTV menu.

Be aware to do all this you need the V1 apple TV with a hard drive. Unfortunately that means craigslist or eBay.

Archived