C4 Forums | Control4

Sony discontinuing 777???

tebery

Yup - this is true. It's already been discontinued. Control4 has an agreement with Sony to continue to receive them through next Summer I believe (but they're $100 more expensive). So for the short term, if you want one, get it now. Sony promises to introduce a new disc changer next fall - which pretty much means it won't ship until Q1 of 2009... so there "MAY" be a 6 month gap with now disc changers in the market... :(

Yup - this is true. It's already been discontinued. Control4 has an agreement with Sony to continue to receive them through next Summer I believe (but they're $100 more expensive). So for the short term, if you want one, get it now. Sony promises to introduce a new disc changer next fall - which pretty much means it won't ship until Q1 of 2009... so there "MAY" be a 6 month gap with now disc changers in the market... :(

My dealer says the new one will support RS232.. any intel on that by chance? I'm willing to wait. Well, my finance officer says im "willing."

Yeah, I don't get that.

If they were going to put out a new player, I'd think they should support an IP connection to the changer, not an RS232 connection.

Obviously, I don't know what Sony's plans are, but that seems like a no-brainer to me.

RyanE

Yeah, I don't get that.

If they were going to put out a new player, I'd think they should support an IP connection to the changer, not an RS232 connection.

Obviously, I don't know what Sony's plans are, but that seems like a no-brainer to me.

RyanE

IMHO, everything should have an Ethernet connection and support and XML interface. This would be the ultimate in control possibilities! Open standards, open protocols.

While they are at it, dump HDMI for a video over Ethernet protocol.

FYI - Sony has made NO announcements at all (not even speculation) about the new disc changer - so ANYTHING anyone hears is rumor only... and should not be considered with much truth.

On that note - I sure do hope it is a 400 disc changer Blu-Ray with IP support as well! :)

Much more expensive than a 777 - plus ONLY Kaleidescope has gotten passed their lawsuit - all the others are still pending (and most likely to lose - which means Kaleidescope will be the only "legit" product - but again - very expensive!

Sony's HES-V1000 is a 200 Blu-ray Disc Changer with 500GB harddrive for $3,500 retail. It does have a ethernet connection but I don't know about IP control. It also has IR input. Maybe it will have direct disc access with IR codes.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665231960

It's a "CONCEPT" device - Sony has no plans on mass producing it, nor selling a great deal of them. Plus - there is no serial control or communication. Concept devices are to see if there is any interest and if they can do it / make it work. I think we'll see something of this next year actually come to mass production... but we'll have to wait and see.

You can do that, but it doesn't offer you the ability to pick a movie right from the C4 navigator and have it play on your screen.

True but it's a huge price difference(new popcornhour is under $200). I never wnated 777 or any changer for that matter because you can only watch one movie at a time. It's not unusual for my wife and I to be watching a movie and each of our 2 kids watcing something different. I'm also referring more to an alternative to the Kalidescope.

Archived