C4 Forums | Control4

Idea for intercom in new 2.7

You could use a mobile device that will load SIP software and use its output into one of the line inputs of your Sonos system.  So when a call is received you can have it go through the speakers. In theory it would work.  I am just wondering if the SIP app is able to auto answer the call.  If I have time tonight maybe I'll give it a try.

Is Linphone able to auto answer the call?  how to set    I  use an android phone.

I can't get auto answer to work on the linphone. And I can't get video to work properly on either apps. 
The driver does show limitations to both apps when you read the documentation section in composer. (This is on the generic sip driver for the new communication agent)

Is Linphone able to auto answer the call?  how to set    I  use an android phone.

The version that you install on a computer can.  I am not sure I would want my phone auto-answering anything anyway as it may not be a good thing. Depending on the setup someone may call you when you are otherwise indisposed and you never know what they may hear or see.  But for the purpose of a house wide announcement over the distributed audio system it works great.

Very good point. Do you have video working at all? The only way I can think of getting it to work is on the computer, by also installing a security IP camera in this room and using the "use different camera" option. I can't seem to find a solution for the cellphone at all. 

Yes the video works as well on my computer. I set it up and my wife is able to call me and see me. It uses the camera on my computer.  For the cellphone in some cases you may need to purchase a codec to get it to work.  I have it working on an iPad without having to pay anything but I purchased Groundwire for my android cellphone.

I bought groundwire also. I can't see an option to buy a x264 codec. 

Bought it on what? On iOS, I think it's included? On Android, h264 is not available.

The camera would need to stream something OTHER (mjpeg) than h264 to be used without the codec - the C4 Doorstation (as one obvious example) does not and cannot stream other than h264

Also note that it's very doubtful you'd get h264 streaming working without paying for it - it's REQUIRED to have a paid license to use that codec (by the patent holders) so anything that makes THAT part work without paying isn't likely to be available outside of jail-broken operating systems/devices.

It is not required to have a PAID license, there is a royalty structure and over 100,000 users/distributions the provider of the encoder/decoder or the content provider has to pay royalties.

If Control4 used the Linphone open source libraries and made their own branded version that could only connect to Control4 systems which would limit it's usage it could essentially be free to use as I doubt the number would get over 100,000 in the near future.  The current Control4 app on Android shows 10k in downloads.  In any event it would make it much easier for users to integrate video intercom on C4 mobile devices.  A secondary app that worked in a similar fashion to Facebook and Facebook messenger, where 2 apps work as 1 would be the most practical, and would also allow all the current doorstations to work.

Link below to royalty document.

http://www.mpegla.com/main/programs/avc/Documents/avcweb.pdf

Bought it on what? On iOS, I think it's included? On Android, h264 is not available.

The camera would need to stream something OTHER (mjpeg) than h264 to be used without the codec - the C4 Doorstation (as one obvious example) does not and cannot stream other than h264

Also note that it's very doubtful you'd get h264 streaming working without paying for it - it's REQUIRED to have a paid license to use that codec (by the patent holders) so anything that makes THAT part work without paying isn't likely to be available outside of jail-broken operating systems/devices.

I bought it on android. I can't get video to work between the 7" touchscreens and my phone, nor the computer.  (On the computer I am using linphone)

Archived