C4 Forums | Control4

Synology NAS Share + Control4

Just got a new Synology 2416+ with 36TB to replace my aging Solaris SAN. My dealer could not get any of the shares connected to the project from the Synology box. Is there some specific protocol which needs to be enabled on the Synology in order for the connection to be made. 

Mapping is being done via \\192.168.x.x\share  so DNS should not be the issue. Using a local user on the Synology box which has read/write access to the share. I have not tweaked any of the Synology file server settings (NFS, SMB Settings, etc)

Anyone know what needs to be enabled on Synology to let Control4 see it?

Yes, media files (both movies and music). 

With the Solaris, the share was mounted into the project without issue. I know many people use Synology with Control4 for media, so I know it should work, but I'm thinking that the smaller home units (2-4 drives) have some things enabled by default that the larger small business models may support, but have disabled by default.

I have a rack unit, I recall that I struggled to get a connection until I decided to allow guest mode without a password and from there no problems, whether you want to do that might depend on how your network is setup although at least you would know you hit a connection

I did have to select an option on the synology to allow an empty password

We were able to make a connection using the user if we configure the use without a password. So at least that's something. Thank you for that suggestion. 

So the issue seems to be related to how Control4 passes the password to the Synology box. Off to Google I go!

So per above - I was able to make a connection from Control4 to Synology using a user with no password. This was something, but I was not crazy about having a user with no password with access to my NAS. 

I went back to the Synology box and set a password again for the user. Just for kicks, we set the password in Control4 again and tried to connect..... and it worked. I don't know but something happened as a result of making the initial connection with no password, which allowed a password to then be used. 

I am confident no changes were made to the the Synology file server settings or the Control4 setting (other than setting the password). 

Problem solved? Kind of wish I had an answer rather than "something that worked" - I'll post back if I learn something new, or it stops working. 

@enzeder - thank you for giving me some place to start!

Archived