C4 Forums | Control4

Outlet switches

tebery

• 3 weeks later...
What about an outdoor outlet switch similar to the existing outlet switch. These would be great for functions like Christmas lights.

for anyone building a house, my builder included xmas light outlets for each front-facing window in the entire house and put them on two switches (one upper, one lower) in the hall closet. i converted those to c4 dimmers and the day after thanksgiving until the new year, the scheduler sees to it that the lights go on and off automatically.

of course c4 outlets built into a house would accomplish the same thing i would have done that had c4 had them but its not an expensive thing to have a builder add a nearby outlet for each window and run them on the same line. just a thought

I had my electrician put in an additional exterior outlet that was controlled by a C4 dimmer (or switch I can't remember which) but it would have been a lot cheaper if I could have just bought an outlet switch myself.

RyanE - most of the christmas lights that you buy these days are LED and don't actually draw that much power.

But that brings to mind another point - you're not supposed to use dimmers with LEDs (or flourescents) are you?

I'd watch out only having two control4 switches on your xmas lights...

They draw a lot more amps than you might think. I'd verify that they're not overloading the switch.

RyanE

Ryan, is this true of the dimmers as well. I'm trying to figure out why the dimmers can get so hot sometimes. I've got 8 X 60W pots on a dimmer and sometimes that dimmer is beyond warm, almost hot.

I'd watch out only having two control4 switches on your xmas lights...

They draw a lot more amps than you might think. I'd verify that they're not overloading the switch.

RyanE

Ryan' date=' is this true of the dimmers as well. I'm trying to figure out why the dimmers can get so hot sometimes. I've got 8 X 60W pots on a dimmer and sometimes that dimmer is beyond warm, almost hot.[/quote']

Might want to check the actual draw of them all when they are on, and compare with the ratings of the dimmers as specified in their installation instruction manual. Is that dimmer by itself or in a junction box with other dimmers?

Archived