C4 Forums | Control4

shaw bluesky tv

Yep I know all to well about these things.

Use the comcast xfinity ir driver

tell the customer they need 'bluesky cable boxes' which are essentially the gateways for every tv which can be expensive. The portals ONLY work with bluetooth so it MUST be the large cable gateway box. 9 times out of 10 even if you get the customer to specifically request only gateways Shaw will still show up with a gateway and a few portals then need another service call to swap the portals to gateways.

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-9886

The first model on that page works, the second one not so much. Make sure you get the right boxes and bluesky works just fine.

2 hours ago, BraydonH said:

Yep I know all to well about these things.

Use the comcast xfinity ir driver

tell the customer they need 'bluesky cable boxes' which are essentially the gateways for every tv which can be expensive. The portals ONLY work with bluetooth so it MUST be the large cable gateway box. 9 times out of 10 even if you get the customer to specifically request only gateways Shaw will still show up with a gateway and a few portals then need another service call to swap the portals to gateways.

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-9886

The first model on that page works, the second one not so much. Make sure you get the right boxes and bluesky works just fine.

Oh, I see, they need different hardware.....

There's two or so drivers out there that are specific to shaw bluesky - particularly one I made (just the above mentioned driver with a changed icon to shaw)  and a changed version of that driver with some better button layout.

Oh and the portals absolutely do work on IR, if faced with them try to have the installer not connect a remote, or do a restore on them. They are garbage though and I also highly recommend getting rid of them and get all main units.

Cynight was there a trick to get the portals to work? I moved an IR blaster over every square inch of that thing blasting signals and it would not work.

Is there a setting to disable bluetooth remote so IR works or something? I would imagine it hard to believe that on like 3 different job sites I couldn't figure out something as simple as where to place the IR blaster, but who knows. The main units are great though so im going to stick to my reccomendation to get all main units.

2 hours ago, BraydonH said:

Cynight was there a trick to get the portals to work? I moved an IR blaster over every square inch of that thing blasting signals and it would not work.

Is there a setting to disable bluetooth remote so IR works or something? I would imagine it hard to believe that on like 3 different job sites I couldn't figure out something as simple as where to place the IR blaster, but who knows. The main units are great though so im going to stick to my reccomendation to get all main units.

As I said, I back that recommendation because the portals are a pain in and of themselves (hdmi only, hdmi connectivity issues) - but no, no super special trick. I did one with the remote being in use at the same time, and it worked, but found it even more sensitive to location - I've done several now where I was on site when shaw came to install them, intercepted the installer and had them NOT activate any of the shaw remotes at all (had the system set and ready to go so he could use C4 remotes to go over the set-up).

I'm HALF remembering there is a remote code though, similar to bell boxes...maybe that is part of it?

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2018 at 11:48 AM, Cyknight said:

There's two or so drivers out there that are specific to shaw bluesky - particularly one I made (just the above mentioned driver with a changed icon to shaw)  and a changed version of that driver with some better button layout.

Oh and the portals absolutely do work on IR, if faced with them try to have the installer not connect a remote, or do a restore on them. They are garbage though and I also highly recommend getting rid of them and get all main units.

Sorry, what IR driver did you use for blusky? just regular one????

• 2 months later...

It works, it works with gateway it self, it works with portals (checked and confirmed). Got system with with one Gateway and one portal, both work with same ir driver. spent 20 sec to find ir receiver on portal, it is in the area with LED, close to bottom. Portal, i mean small dark box about apple tv size.

On 5/2/2018 at 11:48 AM, Cyknight said:

Where can I find your Bluesky variation of the Xfinity driver? I'd like to have one with a Shaw icon for my client if you are able to share it with me. Thanks

20 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Assuming you are a dealer, just talk to the rep - as for dealer access to the forums ... just apply.

Hey Cyknight,

I am a dealer, I have contacted my rep and perused the drivers section of the forum and didnt see anything pertaining to BlueSky. Maybe Im missing something tho? 

its in a forum titled "Shaw Bluesky (Canada)" I always search the forum via post date so just search "shaw" by post date and you will find the latest stuff.

And just 'cuz im feeling nice on a friday

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qcqz0nxb2cbwzql/Shaw_BlueSkyWhite.c4z?dl=0 

;)

As mentioned the driver is the exact same as the Comcast Xfinity Driver, just with changed logos. The driver works pretty good but its not perfect by any means,

On 9/22/2018 at 11:46 AM, Cyknight said:

disconnect the rf remotes in the menu

doesn't matter. Got faulty IR emitter. So far works with paired remote, with out remote even upside down :).  lets see how does it work. it was slightly challenging to find IR receiver on portal (talking about 4K only!!!). it is on top, opposite side of LED, and it is  very sensitive. 

10 hours ago, vitali said:

doesn't matter. Got faulty IR emitter. So far works with paired remote, with out remote even upside down :).  lets see how does it work. it was slightly challenging to find IR receiver on portal (talking about 4K only!!!). it is on top, opposite side of LED, and it is  very sensitive. 

Just wait till you need to deal with the new 4K box......

it is what  I did. , will be careful and say , it works so far with 4k portal and gatyeway. hm there is a new 4k ??? I didn't know, so far I saw just regular blusky TV and 4k blusky tv, didn't know there is another newer 4k model, not surprised, they change equipment very fast.will see.... But anyways thanks for help!

Archived