C4 Forums | Control4

Pool Cover

OPS-UK

I am looking for a very simple driver. One to control a pool cover. Really this is just the three relay driver, using contact closures. I just want a nice Pool Icon and for this to appear under a top heading of Pool. Currently I can access it by going to Shades and operating it as if it were window shades but this is not great. I have hidden the Shades option and just gone for Custom buttons, which does work but a propper Pool icon would be much better. I am not interested in any of the elaborate pool apps as this is in UK and the client does not have the required kit for this.

Alternatively, can someone explain (in simple terms) how I would go about writing a simple Relay driver, with a custom icon?

Not sure if this is a concern to you or not, but in the US, there's regulations on where controls for pool covers can be positioned - It's something along the lines of that they have to be positioned with a clear unobstructed view of the pool so that while operating the cover, the operator can make sure that there's no one inside (who would be trapped if the cover was closed over them).  This is why most pool automation controllers from the big names (Pentair, etc) don't touch cover controls for pool covers, even though they usually have 4-8 relays in the load center where this would certainly be possible.  You'd have to check your local jurisdiction to see if what I mentioned applies.  Putting this control into someone's pocket who may not even be at home (4sight) may bring with it quite a bit of liability...

1 hour ago, dw886 said:

Not sure if this is a concern to you or not, but in the US, there's regulations on where controls for pool covers can be positioned - It's something along the lines of that they have to be positioned with a clear unobstructed view of the pool so that while operating the cover, the operator can make sure that there's no one inside (who would be trapped if the cover was closed over them).  This is why most pool automation controllers from the big names (Pentair, etc) don't touch cover controls for pool covers, even though they usually have 4-8 relays in the load center where this would certainly be possible.  You'd have to check your local jurisdiction to see if what I mentioned applies.  Putting this control into someone's pocket who may not even be at home (4sight) may bring with it quite a bit of liability...

This. Even garage doors are something that is up to debate if you should even be able to control them out of line of sight. It's your risk to take however, provided it's not against code/law of course.

As for the icon and location, there is nothing that I'm aware of that depicts it as such, but experience buttons could be used and can be placed in other sub menus as required. And the 'Scenario' button driver allows for adding PNG images of choice so your dealer could use that.

Archived