C4 Forums | Control4

SimpleC4 Alexa skill gives you more intuitive voice control of your C4 system, for free

What do you mean by saying that c4 skill can control c4 matrix amp?

I cant do it, since alexa will recognize individual c4 audio zones as TVs. So I cant (for example) control volume or turn off audio zone (if the music is already playing)...or can i?

18 hours ago, JAJUTI said:

What do you mean by saying that c4 skill can control c4 matrix amp?

I cant do it, since alexa will recognize individual c4 audio zones as TVs. So I cant (for example) control volume or turn off audio zone (if the music is already playing)...or can i?

With our skill (SimpleC4), you would control the c4 matrix amp as follows:

• "Alexa, set Listen to Pandora" (just like the Listen button, substitute Pandora for your C4 audio source names)
  • "Alexa, turn off tv" (turn off all the AV the room)
  • "Alexa, volume up tv" (turn up room volume)
  • "Alexa, set volume to 25%" (level or delta control)
  • "Alexa, mute the tv" (mute the room)

In our skill, all the AV in the room is controlled as a TV device.  Voice volume control maps to the room volume setting.

You might be right that you can't control the volume on the TV device in the original C4 driver.  It depends on how it is written.  It does definitely work on ours.

On 1/2/2020 at 4:54 PM, videostorm said:

With our skill (SimpleC4), you would control the c4 matrix amp as follows:

• "Alexa, set Listen to Pandora" (just like the Listen button, substitute Pandora for your C4 audio source names)
  • "Alexa, turn off tv" (turn off all the AV the room)
  • "Alexa, volume up tv" (turn up room volume)
  • "Alexa, set volume to 25%" (level or delta control)
  • "Alexa, mute the tv" (mute the room)

In our skill, all the AV in the room is controlled as a TV device.  Voice volume control maps to the room volume setting.

You might be right that you can't control the volume on the TV device in the original C4 driver.  It depends on how it is written.  It does definitely work on ours.

So, just to be sure, with your skill Alexa actually recognize C4 matrix audi zones as audio devices and can stream to them? Native C4 skill doesn't, it recognize them as TV and if you try to stream music to them (Alexa, play "smth" on TV, Alexa play "smth" on whatever you have renamed it to, Alexa play music in the bedroom (if you added this device in the bedroom group) it doesn't work, Alexa says something like "I didn't find anything called "name that you have set" that can play music".)

As far as I know the only way to actually make Alexa stream music to C4 matrix zones it o connect one alexa dot to c4 matrix amp and stream music through it...your skill actually works without that?

Thanks

J.

3 hours ago, JAJUTI said:

So, just to be sure, with your skill Alexa actually recognize C4 matrix audi zones as audio devices and can stream to them? Native C4 skill doesn't, it recognize them as TV and if you try to stream music to them (Alexa, play "smth" on TV, Alexa play "smth" on whatever you have renamed it to, Alexa play music in the bedroom (if you added this device in the bedroom group) it doesn't work, Alexa says something like "I didn't find anything called "name that you have set" that can play music".)

As far as I know the only way to actually make Alexa stream music to C4 matrix zones it o connect one alexa dot to c4 matrix amp and stream music through it...your skill actually works without that?

Thanks

J.

Not sure what you mean here.  The C4 matrix amp ITSELF is not a music streaming device....   You do need a streaming source connected to it's input.

Voice control has two parts:

1.  The voice command to start playing music on the streaming device  ("Alexa, play Depeche Mode")  (optionally add the streaming device name if it is not IN THIS ROOM)

==> this command goes straight to the Alexa streaming audio device  (not C4 or our driver)

2.  If the streaming device is not also the speakers in this room, you must give a voice command to select it  ("Alexa, set listen to Fire Stick").  This will turn on your matrix amp etc.

==> this command goes to our driver to control your C4 gear

You can then adjust volume or stop using voice commands.

==>  these commands either go to the streaming device or C4 depending on what controls your speakers

Streamimg device is C4 controller. Amp is C4 matrix. So, in short, if I'd like to stream some music from Deezer or Tidal and ask Alexa to do it currently it can't since it wont recognize C4 amp audio zones as audio.

If, for example, I'm using Denon amp Alexa will recognize it and Ill be able to stream music (C4->Denon->speakers)

So what I am asking is if your skill will enable Alexa to recognize C4 amp as such and be able to start streaming music from c4. 

I hope we understand each other now:)

18 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

There is no way to do what you want. The c4 controller is not an Alexa audio endpoint

What do you mean? I can do that if I hook Denon amp to C4 controller. Since Alexa recognize it as an amp it works, I can control all my music sources by voice. Multi room speakers, powered by C4 matrix are another thing...

31 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Ring. You need an input that is an Alexa audio source. Which your denon amp is. The Control4 controller is not

Ok, now I'm slowly starting to understand...still dont get the exact logic behind it but nevertheless;). 

So, the only solution here is to directly connect one alexa device (say dot) and C4 amp and program voice scenes, correct?

I'm trying hard to set this up as I think it is exactly what I am trying to utilize in my home. However, I am getting a "device creation failed" in the NetPlay Cloud status box after I enable Netplay cloud in the driver properties.  Any ideas?

17 hours ago, Atrunco said:

I'm trying hard to set this up as I think it is exactly what I am trying to utilize in my home. However, I am getting a "device creation failed" in the NetPlay Cloud status box after I enable Netplay cloud in the driver properties.  Any ideas?

Most likely you haven't verified your NetPlay Cloud account (when you created it in Splash-Tiles, it sends you an email to verify your email address).  If that isn't it, just submit a ticket at netplay.freshdesk.com with your specifics and we can help you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.