C4 Forums | Control4

Control C4 through command line

DylanJ

Search for @RyanE's WebEvents driver.  This allows you to trigger something in C4 via hitting a website.  You could do that from a CLI through a curl command or http libraries for various languages.

Web Events Driver

Posted on April 16, 2013

I’ve had a few requests for this driver lately, sorry I haven’t posted it before now.

This driver accepts connections on the main (master) controller on port 8080, and sets a variable with the sent command, and fires an event.

i.e. if you do a URL Get to the following address:

http://CONTROLLER_IP_ADDRESS:8080/MYCOMMAND

The Control4 ‘COMMAND’ variable will contain MYCOMMAND, and the ‘Command Received’ event will be fired.

In Control4 programming, you can program against the command name received in the COMMAND variable.

https://untestedhacks.com/2013/web-events-driver/

I'm familiar with this driver, however do I understand correctly that it is only good for controlling a single event? Im trying to communicate with the controller directly without an additional driver, and be able to control any of the devices in composer. 

31 minutes ago, DylanJ said:

I'm familiar with this driver, however do I understand correctly that it is only good for controlling a single event? Im trying to communicate with the controller directly without an additional driver, and be able to control any of the devices in composer. 

Hmmm, via shell? That's not possible 3.1.1+

12 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Why? I'm curious.

I'd like to make a custom interface that can control all the C4 and Savant devices in our showroom...mostly just for fun! Sort of a 2 control systems in one kind of a thing. If the issue with 3.0+ is not having port 5020 open I'm almost certain you could just edit the iptable to accept incoming connections on port 5020, it is running BusyBox after all. I'll have to try this out. 

2 minutes ago, Pounce said:

What would this do for you? Or how will this help sell products in your showroom?

It's mostly just for fun, but also connivence. It would be nice to create something like an openHAB panel that controls the entire showroom from one interface, without having to write drivers for all the devices or switch between systems.

So the end goal is in integration of C4 where you can control all of the devices from an interface like openHAB. So, basically, you want to automate the UI of C4 or you want to replace the C4 UI with the UI of your choosing, but that will probably be openHAB. You want to do this without creating a driver by simulating UI events to the controller. In addition you want to somehow event out of C4 for all the devices and internal events so you can keep track of those in openHAB. Do I have that right?

2 minutes ago, Pounce said:

So the end goal is in integration of C4 where you can control all of the devices from an interface like openHAB. So, basically, you want to automate the UI of C4 or you want to replace the C4 UI with the UI of your choosing, but that will probably be openHAB. You want to do this without creating a driver by simulating UI events to the controller. In addition you want to somehow event out of C4 for all the devices and internal events so you can keep track of those in openHAB. Do I have that right?

Nailed it! Except eventing out wouldnt be necessary. 

20 minutes ago, DylanJ said:

Nailed it! Except eventing out wouldnt be necessary. 

If you don't event out you wont be aware of any of the events and control initiated by the devices. You would have only one way control and no visibility into state. Seems sort of pointless.

1 minute ago, Pounce said:

If you don't event out you wont be aware of any of the events and control initiated by the devices. You would have only one way control and no visibility into state. Seems sort of pointless.

It's not pointless to me, and it's ok if you don't know how to accomplish what I'm trying to do. I'm not interested in starting an argument just a discussion. Let's keep this topic on track. 

8 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

what does that mean?

It was an anology to Pounce's response, he was saying I was just interested in hacking control4 for a custom UI integration, I was making the point that the end goal for all systems is integration. 

It was an anology to Pounce's response, he was saying I was just interested in hacking control4 for a custom UI integration, I was making the point that the end goal for all systems is integration. 
Ok. But Control4 doesn't hack Samsung TVs. They are partners and use a documented API....no hackery

2 minutes ago, DylanJ said:

It's not pointless to me, and it's ok if you don't know how to accomplish what I'm trying to do. I'm not interested in starting an argument just a discussion. Let's keep this topic on track.

That's fair. My opinion is that half an integration is pointless and if you have the time it would take to do this.. and you are a dealer your time is likely better spent selling and installing.

What's your dealer location?

1 minute ago, msgreenf said:
2 minutes ago, DylanJ said:

Ok. But Control4 doesn't hack Samsung TVs. They are partners and use a documented API....no hackery

Excellent point, but are there driver developers that create drivers for devices that are not partners with C4 and do not have documented API's? Would this be considered hacking or developing for integration? 

Excellent point, but are there driver developers that create drivers for devices that are not partners with C4 and do not have documented API's? Would this be considered hacking or developing for integration? 
Control4 is cracking down on development against unofficial APIs. Hence why the myq driver is no longer for sale

3 minutes ago, Pounce said:

That's fair. My opinion is that half an integration is pointless and if you have the time it would take to do this.. and you are a dealer your time is likely better spent selling and installing.

What's your dealer location?

Possibly, but I'm off the clock and as I said before it's mostly for fun.

1 minute ago, msgreenf said:
3 minutes ago, DylanJ said:

Control4 is cracking down on development against unofficial APIs. Hence why the myq driver is no longer for sale

Good to know! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.