C4 Forums | Control4

Smart things

SMHarman

1 hour ago, SMHarman said:

Seems like C4 Samsung wants to develop code and mostly leave the hardware to others. 

I think this is an inaccurate representation of SnapAV/Control4...

If you said leave '3rd-party, non-core hardware' to others, it may somewhat apply...

Control4 has not backed away from creating hardware for core functionality (Controllers, AV switching, camera / doorstation, etc.)

RyanE

8 hours ago, SMHarman said:

Mostly. 

Yes C4 does develop hardware. I'm sure ST will continue some but leave non core to others. It's still a big pivot in their model and moves it closed to C4 model. 

This shift has been reported before a while ago actually. If I remember correctly the Internet of Things Podcast reported this change last year - but the change is getting completely out of hardware. There’s nothing more core than the hub and they’re discontinuing that shifting production exclusively to third parties - and all their sensors too. I got started with HA using ST and it is a shame to see them change so much from where they started. I actually think where they are is very different from C4 in a fundamental way: at its core C4 is an integration HA/AV company and that’s what they exist to do (hopefully SnapAV won’t try to change that); ST started kind of like that but was purchased by Samsung which changed ST’s purpose from HA to some kind of amorphous lock in play for Samsung products. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.