C4 Forums | Control4

What are the units on the CURRENT_VOLUME variable for a room when setting up or down?

I am trying to set up programming to just decrease the volume of a room by a certain value.  So I use the device variable CURRENT_VOLUME and set to -1.

The volume goes UP by 6.   If I say -20 it goes down 12.  What are the units?  I am very confused.... It also seems that it depends on what the current volume is whether it goes up or down using the minus sign...

\

TIA

volume.PNG

C4 uses a 0-100 scale, and the driver handles converting that to whatever scale a 3-rd party device uses.

Sounds like you're looking at a receiver, and most of those use a curved DB rating, in that case the 'numbers' you see on the receiver will seem to jump around in odd ways - that's normal enough.

How WELL your programming would work is going to depend a lot on the driver - but most mainstream receivers are fine. Would need to know the specific receiver (and make sure it's running serial or IP to comment more.

4 hours ago, mellie said:

I have the Sony STR-ZA810ES

I've not used the specific units, but generally speaking the Sonys have perfectly fine control. Like I said, you're not going to see the receiver jump by even steps, due to the difference between the linear % C4 uses and the curved dB settings on most receivers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.