C4 Forums | Control4

Power Lost Alert

alcatoe

Anyone implemented a power loss alert of some kind?

I have an outlet in the garage that my deep freezer is plugged into. For some reason, that same outlet also feeds the Master Bath outlet upstairs that my wife uses for the hair dryer. Well a few months ago she was blow-drying her hair and it tripped the breaker and did not tell me until a few days later. My freezer with a ton of food was almost completely thawed out and wasted. :mad:

I would like to know when a breaker trips or an outlet stops receiving power. I am sure I can use a C4 outlet switch but wanted to run it past everyone here 1st.

A Control4 outlet switch wouldn't work well, mainly because if it loses power, it can't report in to say it's lost power.

A better choice would be a CardAccess contact input module (which runs on batteries), connected up to a power current sensor. If it had an external temperature probe, you could even use the CardAccess for temperature monitoring, which may also be helpful.

I'd put one of the CardAccess inputs on the freezer door, and another on the power sensor.

RyanE

I've actually run one of my FAUs off of a CA thermosensor. I also use a current probe for one other device. Take a look at AEMC K100- they are relatively small form-factor.

BTW, get that wiring fixed! A bath outlet needs to be GFCI anyway...

I suspect that the person who ran the outlet put it on the bath outlet GFCI because of that.

Some outlets in garages are also required to be on GFCI for certain situations, but Freezer / Fridge is an exception to that rule, as far as I know (I'm not an electrician, I just play one at *my* house).

RyanE

Archived