C4 Forums | Control4

Buyer Beware

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have transacted a lot of business on this forum. I have sold probably 15 or 20 different people items, all of whom have been happy (with the exception of 1 person in Canada apparently still waiting for a slow package). I have also bought a few items on here. One was not quite as described, but the seller was very apologetic and took care of the situation quickly. He was willing to accept a return or offer a percentage refund based on the photos I sent him. It worked out great.

I have absolutely no problem buying from members here, however a recent transaction where I sold something has me second guessing if I want to go down that road again. In some cases, seller beware!

• 2 weeks later...
For USPS - When you ship a package over $2000 in value, how much more if you want a tracking?

I NEVER, an I mean N E V E R, ship any equipment via USPS. Our company ships all equipment from light switches to servers either FedEx or UPS. USPS can not track or guarantee like FedEx or UPS.

Too late for that. There was a package sent for me through USPS. I was told USPS does not give tracking nos. And it has been over 8 weeks since it was supposedly shipped. I'm still waiting for it. I have paid for the product over 5mths and i still haven't got what i paid for. Seller is unresponsive

Too late for that. There was a package sent for me through USPS. I was told USPS does not give tracking nos. And it has been over 8 weeks since it was supposedly shipped. I'm still waiting for it. I have paid for the product over 6mths and i still haven't got what i paid for. Seller is unresponsive

If you paid by CC I would have it charged back. Unfortunately if you paid by Check (personal, cashiers, money order), wire transfer or cash your out of luck.

If you paid by CC I would have it charged back. Unfortunately if you paid by Check (personal, cashiers, money order), wire transfer or cash your out of luck.

Paid $2000 cheque, cashed cleared since Jan, been waiting for my product since March.

USPS should give a tracking number for every package. Now I do not know where it is

If you paid by CC I would have it charged back. Unfortunately if you paid by Check (personal' date=' cashiers, money order), wire transfer or cash your out of luck.[/quote']

Paid $2000 cheque, cashed cleared since Jan, been waiting for my product since March.

USPS should give a tracking number for every package. Now I do not know where it is

Who was it Letran ?

If you paid by CC I would have it charged back. Unfortunately if you paid by Check (personal' date=' cashiers, money order), wire transfer or cash your out of luck.[/quote']

What has the post office said? Was it sent "registered mail" or "return receipt requested" If it was, the post office can track it and see where the package is or if in fact it was delivered.

Is it possible that the post office delivered the package and left it at your door and it was taken/stolen? What has the seller said to you? Is the seller in the US? If so in the same state as you?

As far as tracking number from USPS, they do not track packages and give tracking numbers like FedEx or UPS does. Hence why nothing of value should be shipped via USPS.

Not relevant in this discussion maybe, but USPS do give tracking numbers if shipped internationally on some shipping options.

I've had a lot of stuff shipped internationally expecting to loose something along the way and not lost a single parcel.

Been both surprised and happy!

Only saying this because a lot of ÜS shippers are frightened to ship OS into the unknown, but don't be!

cheers

Not relevant in this discussion maybe, but USPS do give tracking numbers if shipped internationally on some shipping options.

I've had a lot of stuff shipped internationally expecting to loose something along the way and not lost a single parcel.

Been both surprised and happy!

Only saying this because a lot of ÜS shippers are frightened to ship OS into the unknown, but don't be!

cheers

This also what I figured. Because I do get packages regularly from the US (I'm Intl) via USPS always with tracking number. And I never had any problems also. Not to mention where I get them shipped someone is always there to receive and sign. Comparable to Fedex ground, 4-6 days the most.

I track it via this link http://trkcnfrm1.smi.usps.com/PTSInternetWeb/InterLabelInquiry.do

Just issues with this seller. He is saying that there is no tracking number from USPS there is a customs no. The problem of course is that he said he has sent it since April 23, I do not have the package and he cannot find the customs number and he has stopped responding to my emails.

Cashed in January? I wouldn't expect that package to show up...

He is a regular poster in this forum. I might be naive or too trusting but I really did not expect this.

Who was it Letran ?

Thank you dgbrown. I have been extremely patient and generous with this seller/transaction

I never argued with his price,

I paid way in advance, and MORE than what was agreed

I do wish that this has gone better. At this point, all I want is to receive what I had paid for.

Since February 19, I've been waiting to conclude the transaction. All I got is one excuse after the other.

Secretary screwed up shipment

Was shipped to a different buyer

His credit card expired etcetera, etc.

Now, the latest is ---- I sent the package already but I can't give you a tracking number.

I had a completely positive experience with a dealer on this forum. Sorry I know this was a little of the line of topic but I just wanted to give my +1 for dealing with people on here.

I have also dealt with other different members on this forum. They were all positive except for this particular member. I actually did feel that (the person in question) being a regular contributor in the forum and dealing with inside the known community is safer than dealing in ebay or other places.

I did wait and hesitated posting the question for the longest time, giving the said member the benefit of the doubt, time to deal with personal issues etc to deliver. But my emails are unanswered, I'm deducting that he might be experiencing money issues. I would have given him mor time, as it is I have already been very patient. But if he won't answer my emails or help track his own package. I'm not sure what else to expect.

Okay, I feel I better step in a clear the air here. I am the person that Letran is talking about. Thus far has Letran got the short end of the stick on this deal? Without a doubt. Is the situation going to be made right? Absolutely. Is the position we're in all my fault? NO. Here's the scoop. The full, real story, just so all you understand. I'm sharing this publicly because I have no idea what might be getting sent around via PM/Email and I want people to know what has really happened here. I don't have exact dates and can look through my emails, but I have approximate dates.

Letran has emailed me LOTS of times, trying to get gear. Control4 gear, Card Access gear, Snap A/V gear, all sorts of stuff. As you all know (I assume), I don't do this for a living and can't get him all this stuff. I am a Card Access dealer, and I can get him Card Access gear. For everything else, I referred him to a dealer friend of mine in Phoenix. This dealer had always taken great care of people I referred to him, but lately (the past 6 months or so...I've stopped referring him) he has been dropping the ball. I know he had some back issues and he lost a few employees, I think he has just gotten so busy that taking care of what is in his face is hard enough, much less the phone/email stuff. I'm not making excuses for him, just stating what I feel to be fact. As I mentioned, I have quit referring people to him. At any rate, Letran and I exchanged countless emails with him asking about pricing for different products, and different quantities/configurations, etc... He called me on the phone several times to discuss, and this was a long process. I can't even tell you how long. In the end, he wanted some Card Access gear from me, and some other gear from the dealer in Phoenix (not a poster here BTW. He wanted some baluns, some rack mount kits, an iPad license, and some other misc. stuff). I told Letran what my costs were, the dealer told him what his costs were, and Letran told me he would mail a check. This was around the holidays. After about 3-4 weeks I hadn't received anything, so I emailed him asking if he sent it because I wanted to make sure it wasn't lost in the mail. He said that his sister/secretary/someone forgot to send it when the went on Holiday, and that he was mailing. Sometime later (about a week?) I received his Canadian check in the mail. It took me a few days to get it to the bank (got it at the end of the week), and with it being an international check my bank held it for 10 or 12 days...I don't remember for sure. About 5% fell off due to exchange rate if I recall....no big deal. So, after his check cleared I made payment to the dealer in AZ, and sent a copy of that receipt off to Letran. I also referred Letran to the dealer in AZ for follow up (I'd already put them in touch) and moved on. I ordered his Card Access gear. He wanted LINE POWERED motion detectors, and Card Access was out of the notched battery doors they include with the motions. I asked him if he wanted to wait for them to get in stock, and he said yes. That took about 2 weeks. Now, I should note, Letran sent some extra money. He said he sent some extra because he may want to buy something else, and he wanted a little extra to be left behind for me as a thank you/donation to C4DIY. So there was a little extra cash here that was his, and the product he wanted was undetermined. I let him know the Card Access parts were in, and he emailed me asking about hard disk drives...if I could get him some. I was actually getting ready to order some from NewEgg for myself, so he asked me to get him one or two as well (I don't recall how many...I think 2?). That was what he was using the "extra money" for. No problem. I ordered the drives, which all said and done added about a week. He then asked me to put some *personal files* I have to said drive. It was an internal drive, and I didn't have a handy USB enclosure but figured it would be nice to have one, so I ordered one of those. That added a few days. Then I started the process of copying a few hundred *personal files* on to the hard drive. This was all going over my network as it was coming from my NAS, so I would stream 20 or so each night. I told him, this is going to take a while...do you want to wait? Again...he says "yes...no problem. Thank you". Now, I travel a fair amount, and so this process took some time as I am gone about 1/2 the time and this isn't a priority. So I get the drive(s?) all ready to go, and package the whole lot up in one box. I then had to leave on an unexpected trip and had the package in my office (took it in to weigh and calculate postage), and forgot it. I remembered on the plane, and asked my assistant to send it for me. She dropped the ball. When I got back in town I shipped, and he received it just fine. There was one problem though...I didn't realize he had ALSO asked for an additional card access product, the phone and doorbell event package. He called/emailed me asking about this. I COMPLETELY missed the fact that he even wanted this...I don't know how, but I did...it was my fault. I was out of town when this happened, and to be honest getting this and shipping it out slipped my mind for a little while. It is worth noting that since I didn't realize he wanted this, I didn't factor the cost in, so with everything done so far I've spent a bunch of my time, and the "extra money" is about $15...about 10% the cost of the Card Access piece that I owe him (admittedly, like I said he asked for it and I missed it. My mistake, my cost, not mad at anyone except myself). So, I'm annoyed. I'm out of town, and it slips to the back of my mind. Then, unexpectedly my grandmother dies, during an already very hectic time, and it had me busy with the family for about a week. Then, the day after my grandmothers funeral my wife goes in for surgery. Bedridden for 3 weeks. I work 50+ hours per week (and don't have anyone to "full in for me" when I'm not around...things just pile up), run two online businesses, have 3 kids under age 3 (oldest almost 4) and have a house/yard to take care of. My wife is a full time job for me, plus everything else, plus now I'm doing everything SHE does (which I realized more than ever, is a LOT). Admittedly, going to Card Access and buying this gear to send to Letran is nearly the last thing on my mind. The timing of all this could not be worse. So, Letran reminds me. I told him (I remember the conversation on the phone) "Sorry about these delays, I will pick it up next Monday and ship it out on Tuesday". That's what I did. Problem, in an attempt to keep the cost down, I shipped it via USPS. No insurance, no tracking number. I didn't keep the "customs" number...I through it away on my way out the post office with the receipt. This was dumb move on my part...I'll admit that. So, Letran still hasn't received a product that I ate the cost on (again, not mad at anyone but myself) and I'll be damned if I am going to buy another one (at my expense) and ship it to him until I am DAMN certain that thing isn't going to arrive. We're probably to that point now, I need to go back and look over the dates. With one of my online businesses I ship a lot of smaller, pad packaged envelopes USPS to Canada and it is not uncommon for it to take 3 weeks...one time recently it took almost 7! I shipped a new product to the customer (after they didn't receive their package after 3 weeks) and they received it, then a week later the original package showed up!

This whole thing has been a huge pain in the ass, and cost me a lot of time and money. Letran is not going to get slighted. I have transacted business with DOZENS of members on this forum, and I would be blown away if anyone (other than Letran) said anything other than positive things about our dealings. I'm not a cheat, I'm not "in trouble" and I'm not ripping anybody off. A lot of the initial delay was due to his request with the hard drives and copying data (please don't lecture me on doing that...please), and these recent delays are mine. I explained why up above.

Oh yeah, it's also worth noting that the dealer in Phoenix totally dropped the ball and didn't send him anything! It took us (me) a lot of time and energy bugging him, just to find out he hadn't done it. He supposedly mistaked him for another customer in Canada, and gave us several tracking numbers for packages that were delivered to other people! Each time, it took him a few days to respond. Letran got his money back from that dealer, and I felt badly about it taking so long for him to end up with nothing. But that was completely out of my hands.

SO, here's what it comes down to. I wasn't selling anything Letran wanted to buy, he reached out to me. Normally I wouldn't have done this (I get emails like this all the time and I'm sure people here will agree with the fact that I have told them no a lot of times), but for some reason I wanted to help him out...he was in Canada, had several bad experience with several bad integrators and was having a hard time getting gear. So, there you have it. That's the real story. I'll open my wallet and buy him ANOTHER Phone and Doorbell event package at my cost, ship it at my cost, and make sure to NEVER help anyone in a similar situation again.

All you guys that email me from here and my website asking for help, referrals, suggestions, etc...this is the reason why I am not responding. I try to help people because I enjoy and I also want help from time to time and it bites me in the ass. If you need help you can try emailing me, but no guarantees.

Now, I just spent 20 minutes of valuable typing all that and have to get back to work. Sorry if it rambles, has typos and grammatical errors, etc... I have not proof read it, and probably won't see the post for several days. I have a huge meeting in Chicago on Wednesday and am behind in my preparations.

Good day to you all.

You know there's all kinds of problems with the post up there now. Winnipeg and Montreal have postal strikes at present.

Also, I only ship USPS tracked up to CA. In fact it's preferred shipping method for goods coming from US do to customs. UPS for instance charges the recipient a customs handling fee I believe.

I don't suggest that you post the fact that you're copying movies you own onto a hard drive for a 3rd-party...

On a public forum... I probably wouldn't even suggest that you *do* it.

RyanE

I haven't done it before, and won't do it again...for several reasons. I'll take that part down in a couple of days.

dgbrown, I had no idea about the postal strikes. Thanks for pointing that out. I've been too dang busy to even watch the news lately!

Archived