C4 Forums | Control4

HDMI Matrix Switch

ILoveC4

Okay guys, I've heard countless times that HDMI switching is a pain, doesn't work well, etc...

What exactly is the problem? Are these all hearsay or has someone here experienced one? I am thinking of a Shinybow SB5645P 4x4 HDMI matrix but wanted more info on all the "issues" surrounding HDMI.

Is the problem finding long HDMI cables? I need one about 60 or 70 feet at a minimum. Can you string multiple cables together?

Okay guys, I've heard countless times that HDMI switching is a pain, doesn't work well, etc...

What exactly is the problem? Are these all hearsay or has someone here experienced one? I am thinking of a Shinybow SB5645P 4x4 HDMI matrix but wanted more info on all the "issues" surrounding HDMI.

Is the problem finding long HDMI cables? I need one about 60 or 70 feet at a minimum. Can you string multiple cables together?

From what I've read, the issue is not the cables, as you can get HDMI over cat5e/6 baluns that work just fine. The issue is the HDMI and HDCP handshake is problematic, which results in dropped pictures or serious lag time. From what I've read Crestron's HDMI switcher is the only one in the business that has been able to overcome these issues. It may just be a matter of time, however, when an upstart company can make one that works well. I haven't heard anything about the Shinybow.

Not exactly an expert on HDMI, but usually the problem is with handshaking to multiple units. HDMI plays nice one to one but not when splitting a signal to multiple sources. I tried going from one source, an HD cable box, to two TV's via an HDMI powered splitter in my bar. One TV, the LG LCD was fine. The second one a Samsung Plasma wouldn't play nice. It was always losing signal when switching input on the plasma. Power cycle the HD cable box and both TV's display fine, until you changed the input again on the Samsung plasma.

As for length there are cables available at monoprice.com up to at least 75' for in wall use, maybe longer, I just took a quick look. See this link:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024002&p_id=2893&seq=1&format=2

I use a 35" in wall HDMI cable fed by a 10" HDMI cable to a wall plate then to the 35 footer. It does the job just fine with no visual degradation of video signal. All of my cables are from monoprice.com.

I know there are signal repeaters, boosters, available for HDMI when going long lengths. I am sure someone else on here can provide more of light on these.

WOW you guys are fast >>> LOL

some issues are have to do with HDCP and the number of licenes's you get with the individual source. This means that if you have only one license for the source the matrix switch will only display the source on one display at a time. If you have 3 license's then you can support up to 3 tv's, etc.

Also you have the "handshake" issue. For instance I had to reset my clients XBR yesterday because the bluray & comcast box would not play nice.

over 50' is when HDCP is a lil' bitch

I think it depends on cable quality and maybe a few other things because I have a 40 foot run from my denon to a splitter, 3 feet to a projector and the other run is 50 feet to a flat screen in the game room/

I used all monoprice cables and have no problems, or maybe I'm just lucky

I have a '50 HDMI that works great. I think when you go over '50 you need a cable with built in repeater or you need to run cat5 and use HDMI baluns. One of the problems with HDMI switching besides HDCP is the expense. I have a friend that bought a digital extender HS-88M over a year ago, it was over $7000! It works flawlessly. For the long runs in his house 200'+ he ran two cat5s and is using Gefen HDMI baluns.

HS-88M

http://www.digitalextender.com/HDMImatrix.html

I've heard Gefen is a great brand for HDMI Matrix switcher. I'm looking into the 8x8 one my self. Anyone have any other recommendations? Also, if I have 7 sources (4 -HD Direct TV DVR's, DVD Changer, Blu-Ray and PS3) and have 13 TV's, can these be daisy chained? I really don't want to spend the amount it costs for the Gefen so any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you are up for suggestions to review try out the monoprice 4x4 matrix and let me know what you think.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5704&seq=1&format=2

Send one over and I'll review it. I'm not buying these switches yet, I'm getting loaner units to review to help both myself and all the other fine readers at C4Central make an informed decision.

The Shinybow should be here soon.

I'm not to sure about the monoprice 4x4 matrix, but if it works like the monoprice HDX-401E does you'll be fine... Right now I am using the monoprice HDX-401E, this is not a 4x4 switcher it is a 1x4 switcher....

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=4088&seq=1&format=2

It works great, I have my PC and my Xbox360 hooked up to it.... It works with out any problems at all.....

I'm also using the monoprice HDC-CAH, it takes Component Video + S/PDIF audio and converts it to a HDMI output ( video output is only rated HDMI 1.2 ) .... My Xbox360 was made right before they added the HDMI output... I was running low on component inputs so I wanted to give it a try....

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011406&p_id=5971&seq=1&format=2

Understanding the Differences between HDMI Versions: http://www.audioholics.com/education/display-formats-technology/understanding-difference-hdmi-versions

I have been looking at this Atlona HDMI matrix switch: Atlona 8x8:2 HDMI Matrix Switch with CAT5/6 and Local HDMI Outputs. Model: AT-PROHD88M-SR. It already has C4 drivers and could be a great solution. They are launching a 16x16 version next month.

I wonder what Zektor has up their sleeve as well.

Archived