C4 Forums | Control4

GE Concord 4 Question

Hi,

I'm going to order and install the GE Concord 4 security system, and then have my dealer integrate it into my system.

When trying to place the order I said I needed some type of serial port adaptor to allow connection to the Control4. He asked if I had a part number so he could look it up.

Anyone know exactly what part number I need for the GE Concord 4?

Dave

Just ordered one myself a few weeks ago: 60-783-02 - GE ITI SuperBus 2000 RS-232 Automation Module

Depending on the distance between your a/v rack and security panel you may be better off locating the Automation module in/near the rack if the run is long - that will keep your serial cable length to a minimum.

BTW, should run you around $55 or so.

Dave

Just ordered one myself a few weeks ago: 60-783-02 - GE ITI SuperBus 2000 RS-232 Automation Module

Depending on the distance between your a/v rack and security panel you may be better off locating the Automation module in/near the rack if the run is long - that will keep your serial cable length to a minimum.

BTW, should run you around $55 or so.

Dave

My control4 and alarm panel are about 20 feet apart, will that be an issue? Is that to long for the serial cable run?

BTW' date=' should run you around $55 or so.

Dave[/quote']

My control4 and alarm panel are about 20 feet apart, will that be an issue? Is that to long for the serial cable run?

20 feet for serial should not be a problem. I would still recommend having the Superbus automation module installed closer to the controller and use a shorter serial cable. The Superbus is capable of spanning longer distances so I would take advantage of that.

Dave[/quote']

20 feet for serial should not be a problem. I would still recommend having the Superbus automation module installed closer to the controller and use a shorter serial cable. The Superbus is capable of spanning longer distances so I would take advantage of that.

Thanks so much

My alarm panel (which is located near my electric box in the basement) is approx ~30ft away from GE automation module.

My automation module & the HC300 are located together in my theater equipment rack.

Everything works fine.

Dave[/quote']

+1

To amplify Alan's point ....

My notes show a max dist of 1,500 ft with 22 gauge wire and 4,000 ft with 18 gauge wire. That said, the bus length for any and all superbus deivces cumulatively can not exceed 4,000 ft with either gauge wire.

Can't do that with serial !

Serial will easily cover the distance mentioned. Either way it probably does not matter if you use a 20 foot serial cable from the superbus module to the C4 controller or 20' of 18/4 wire from the main panel to the superbus module. Since the alarm guy has to wire in the superbus module he might as well mount it closer to the C4 controller and use a shorter serial cable. It really is 6 of one, haly a dozen of the other.

"Cable length is one of the most discussed items in RS232 world. The standard has a clear answer, the maximum cable length is 50 feet, or the cable length equal to a capacitance of 2500 pF. The latter rule is often forgotten. This means that using a cable with low capacitance allows you to span longer distances without going beyond the limitations of the standard. If for example UTP CAT-5 cable is used with a typical capacitance of 17 pF/ft, the maximum allowed cable length is 147 feet"

From some source off the web...

"Cable length is one of the most discussed items in RS232 world. The standard has a clear answer, the maximum cable length is 50 feet, or the cable length equal to a capacitance of 2500 pF. The latter rule is often forgotten. This means that using a cable with low capacitance allows you to span longer distances without going beyond the limitations of the standard. If for example UTP CAT-5 cable is used with a typical capacitance of 17 pF/ft, the maximum allowed cable length is 147 feet"

From some source off the web...

This is why it is best to use 18/4 wire on the SuperBus to extend the distance from the alarm panel to automation module and use a short serial cable.

Low Cap. cable is also more expensive. Additionally you alarm guy will have 18//4 wire in stock since they probably use it all the time. He can use 22/4 too.

• 3 weeks later...

Question for anyone that has installed the RS-232 to control 4, the instructions say:

The RS-232 Automation Module port is configured as a DCE device. Therefore it transmits data on pin 2, receives data on pin 3. Pin 5 is the signal ground. All other pins are not used.

If the automation device's RS-232 port is configured as a DTE port, then a "straight through" DB-9 cable must be used. Otherwise a "null modem" cable must be used.

Question - what kind of serial cable to I buy, the statement above confused me

Thanks for your help

Dave

Question for anyone that has installed the RS-232 to control 4, the instructions say:

The RS-232 Automation Module port is configured as a DCE device. Therefore it transmits data on pin 2, receives data on pin 3. Pin 5 is the signal ground. All other pins are not used.

If the automation device's RS-232 port is configured as a DTE port, then a "straight through" DB-9 cable must be used. Otherwise a "null modem" cable must be used.

Thanks for your help

Dave

The HC-300 is DTE. Use a straight through serial cable.

Question for anyone that has installed the RS-232 to control 4' date=' the instructions say:

Thanks for your help

Dave[/quote']

The HC-300 is DTE. Use a straight through serial cable.

Got my new Concord security panel up and running. Now I'm installing the RS-232 Automation Module, and after I'll have my dealer integrate it to control4.

Question: When I wire it from the control panel to the back of the HC-300 I'm getting a "bus b error" code on my security system. Will I get that until the device/driver is loaded into my Control4 system, or is something wrong with my wiring?

Thanks

Dave

I'm pretty sure that's the case. I know for sure if you disco that cable from the HC300 you will definitely get a bus error on the security keypad.

You want to make sure you power cycled the security panel or manually id the superbus automation module into the panel to get the automation module on the bus itself.

Other than that it sounds like you're set.

You make get lucky and Alan or Ryan may jump in here. I'm pretty sure they're Concord4 guys too.

I'm pretty sure that's the case. I know for sure if you disco that cable from the HC300 you will definitely get a bus error on the security keypad.

You want to make sure you power cycled the security panel or manually id the superbus automation module into the panel to get the automation module on the bus itself.

Other than that it sounds like you're set.

You make get lucky and Alan or Ryan may jump in here. I'm pretty sure they're Concord4 guys too.

Is it best then to just take the serial cable off the HC-300 until my dealer is ready to program it?

Thanks!

Dave

^ Dave - you can confirm the integrity of the bus error by removing the cable - that's what I was trying to say. With the cable removed if you get the bus error you are ok !

Don;t think you'd be killing anyone if you left it. Connected. You'll have the same bus error. No biggie.

Now I get it, thanks again!

^ Dave - you can confirm the integrity of the bus error by removing the cable - that's what I was trying to say. With the cable removed if you get the bus error you are ok !

Don;t think you'd be killing anyone if you left it. Connected. You'll have the same bus error. No biggie.

Hi,

For those that have integrated their Concord 4 with Control4, I wanted to get your take on this.

I was thinking of asking my dealer to do the following with the integration:

Be able to control the security panel from all touch screens

When system is armed all lights in the house turn "red" to show alarm is on. When alarm is not on lights are normal blue color

When a door is open play an announcement in Living Room, Dinning Room, Kitchen, down bath (door is ajar, or a ping sound)

When you enter the home during the 60 seconds to disarm alarm, play an announcement ever 15 seconds in same rooms above that says "alarm on, disarm"

When you turn the alarm off, play an announcement in the same rooms above that says "alarm off"

If the alarm is triggered (not during safe 60 seconds mode, but a true alarm trigger) all lights in the house turn on and off while alarm is triggered. All rooms in the house play an "alarm" sound on the speakers

Anything you are doing with yours you like that I don't have listed above?

Anything I'm thinking of doing above that sends up red flags for you?

Dave

Archived