C4 Forums | Control4

iPad App with iPod Dock

It does not appear as if I can access my iPod from the iPad app (I've got the Control4 iPod dock). When I use the app to access my iPod from one of the zones, it just says on the screen that the iPod has been selected as the device, but it doesn't switch sources or give me any access to songs or playlists.

Am I correct in assuming that the app simply doesn't support the iPod dock yet, and hopefully will soon, or is this a problem that only I am having?

I'm pretty happy with how the Apple TV interacts with the C4 iPod app. It brings over cover art, play lists and movie art. IMHO a better solution than docking ipod and Apple TV auto syncs with your iTunes library. I wonder how the iPad application works with Apple TV? I'll ask in this general discussion board to see who has tested.

• 2 months later...

I am having the same problem...iPad app says my iPod is "offline" when it's not...when I use the HC-300 to change songs, the iPad then magically works...however, when the HC-300 "sleeps" my iPad goes back to saying the iPod is offline?? Any ideas??

Thanks!!

• 4 weeks later...

Despite my previous post, I am still not getting 100% functionality controlling the iPod from the iPad.

Here is what I have:

ipad running the latest control4 app, version 1.6.

1st Generation iPod nano 4GB, running the latest firmware, synched with itunes on windows XP, with music by about 130 artists.

Control4 setup with, amongst other things, an hc1000 with mp3s on, control4 ipod dock, control4 tuner, in wall touch screen, three hc 200s running on screen navigators, four SR250 remotes, control4 amp with 8 zones. All control4 products have been upgraded to 2.0.2 late last week.

I can use the remotes to control, browse and select music on the hc1000, tuner, ipod. works 100%

I can use the remotes & on screen navigators on the hc 200s to control, browse and select music on the hc1000, tuner, ipod. works 100%

I can use the in-wall touch-screen to control, browse and select music on the hc1000, tuner, ipod. works 100%

-------------------------------

Here's the problem:

I can use the control4 app on the iPad to control, browse and select music on the hc1000 and tuner, but not 100% on the ipod.

From the iPad, if I select the iPod I can access it, if I select artists and choose an artist from the first half of the list, I can then choose an album, and a song, and it plays, ok so far.

But if I try to scroll down to an artist below the letter M, it doesn't work. A loading circle appears in the middle of the ipad screen, but it is unable to load the rest of the list. Then if I try to choose an artist from between A-M, like before, it no longer works, it just opens a blank list with a loading circle.

At this point the ipad app hasn't frozen, I can exit this screen and select an mp3 from the digital media on the hc 1000 (for example), but I can't do anything else on the ipod, I can't even choose an artist between A and M anymore. At this point, I can no longer access the ipod from the sr250s either, if I try, the sr250 just reads "please wait". The iPod is frozen. If I remove the ipod from the dock it continues to display "control4, ok to disconnect", (the only way to resolve this is to switch the hold on, then off, and then hold menu and the centre button, this resets the ipod.)

However if I don't remove the ipod from the dock, but leave it "frozen" (not responding to the ipad or the sr250) in the dock, and then try to access the ipod from the touch screen, or from an on screen navigator, the ipod un-freezes. Not only is the navigator able to access the full list of artists on the ipod, but now the SR250 and the iPad suddenly come up with the list displayed on the touch screen, both able to see all artists from A-Z, at this point even the iPad works 100% to control the iPod.

If you have the touch screen browsing the iPod from the beginning, the iPad works too, there's no freezing issue. But, obviously that's not a desirable option, having to walk to the touch screen every time you want to use the ipad to control the ipod.

-----------------

So, it appears to me that the iPad app is unable to request enough information from the iPod dock for the long list of artists. If another navigator requests the info at the same time, it is able to get all the info (e.g. the whole list of artists), and as a bi-product the ipad is able to see the whole list. This is just my theory, and I believe this may be a bug in the control4 ipad app.

Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, was there a resolution? Or is this actually a bug?

Things I have already tried:

Updating the versions of the ipad, control4 ipad app, ipod.

Removing the ipad and the ipod dock from the project, and re-adding them.

Tried with an iphone 3g, it only had 10 artists on it, it worked 100%.

Sorry if this essay isn't clear, I've tried to describe the issue precisely , but realise I've written a lot.

Thanks in advance for any ideas,

P

• 3 weeks later...

Just a note to say that this is still an issue. C4 have said it will hopefully be fixed in the next version (1.7) of the ipad app.

My previous statement :

"and then try to access the ipod from the touch screen, or from an on screen navigator, the ipod un-freezes."

Is not always true. Sometimes even the touch screens and navigators cannot un-freeze the ipod. The only solution is to unplug, reset and then re-plug the ipod.

Seems to me that this ipad app has been released unfinished. I Would expect more people are having the same problem? The fact not many people have reported the same issue worries me that it could be a unique problem with my system.

wow, thats odd. I've had this exact same problem with a AMX system controlling a Escient FP-1.

Customers ipod would work for about half of the songs onthe unit. If Iput my phone in, all my music woudl comeup fine(Again, much smaller list of songs)

I reset the FP-1 and then did a full resync of the ipod to the dock and that cleared up the issue.

THe Escient stores a song list in it so it doent take forever tosync the dock every time you put it in. I wonder if C4 is doing the same thing and if there is a way to force a full re-sync.

Archived