C4 Forums | Control4

Custom Screens

jerrywolf

It would be fantastic if there was a way to get a "custom screen" or something similar to have more granular control of a system, for example, having bool variable override toggles (like the on off for wakeup) for other things.  For example, a scheduler event that happens at a certain time every day or week, and 99% of the time you want this action to happen, but now you're sitting at home and you know this will happen in 10 minutes, but you don't want it to, so you just flip a switch in your custom screen to turn this "house feature" off.

Adding to this, it would be cool to see variable states on this screen as well.  Even change them possibly  :blink:.  That would be awesome.  This could be an add-on to custom buttons I think.  A lot of this could be overcome if custom buttons had a state indicator as well...

Control4 has 'custom screens' via 4store.  This is available on flash based touchscreens (non t3).  We developed a driver that does just what you need it to do with two way button feedback with virtual LED's and dynamic labelling.

www.chowmain.co.nz/advanced-custom-buttons

our driver does also work with HTML5 based web browsers so will work with IOS, Android, Windows, OSX & Linux browsers.

If/when the T3's support applications we will update our driver to support the T3.

Control4 has 'custom screens' via 4store.  This is available on flash based touchscreens (non t3).  We developed a driver that does just what you need it to do with two way button feedback with virtual LED's and dynamic labelling.

www.chowmain.co.nz/advanced-custom-buttons

our driver does also work with HTML5 based web browsers so will work with IOS, Android, Windows, OSX & Linux browsers.

If/when the T3's support applications we will update our driver to support the T3.

This looks like it may work for me... I remember seeing something about this driver awhile back, but couldn't find any info on it when I looked the other day.  I really wish it worked with T3... huge improvement in those from the old ones.  The web app part of this is very interesting - is it just this driver that works via browser? Is it the IP of director just running on a custom port? Or is there some super secret control4 web navigator I don't know about (which I could go on all day about how web apps are the way to go for control4).

This looks like it may work for me... I remember seeing something about this driver awhile back, but couldn't find any info on it when I looked the other day.  I really wish it worked with T3... huge improvement in those from the old ones.  The web app part of this is very interesting - is it just this driver that works via browser? Is it the IP of director just running on a custom port? Or is there some super secret control4 web navigator I don't know about (which I could go on all day about how web apps are the way to go for control4).

This driver creates a web server on a different port on the controller...there is no built in interface like what Alan has developed.

This driver creates a web server on a different port on the controller...there is no built in interface like what Alan has developed.

Mitch is correct. We built a web server into the driver from the ground up and built a HTML5 based user interface into it to handle 2 way feedback.  Works extremely well and i use it everyday on my iphone (quicker than launching the Control4 app)

Besides having the Custom Buttons - which are really nice - Control4 desperately needs some option to do real a custom screen where a driver can display the screen as its liking.

What comes into my mind here is:

- display of private weather stations with graphics

- status of water tanks

- create schedules for other driver (temperature for rooms, start times for hours appliances etc..)

Besides having the Custom Buttons - which are really nice - Control4 desperately needs some option to do real a custom screen where a driver can display the screen as its liking.

What comes into my mind here is:

- display of private weather stations with graphics

- status of water tanks

- create schedules for other driver (temperature for rooms, start times for hours appliances etc..)

I'd agree with Mitch. The point being that everything needs to feel universal across the board - going to pure driver based interfaces is going to create issues, not give better options.

Some form of a more 'free' proxy for specialized devices may be nice (ie one where specialty interfaces can be made - water tanks is one good example) but driver is NOT a proxy.

Improvements to allow some form of user scheduling would be nice - though more difficult than one might think. Sure a user schedule to address lighting is one thing - but what about those appliance, then you add temperature to that same interface, alarm clocks, windows opening, alarm schedules....either it has to do it all or don't bother - and ALL is going to be difficult to pull off.

Of course - there IS an interface for all this already - ComposerHE. Not sure I can see THAT simply condensed into something that you can easily use on your phone....

yeah, I have seen other home automation systems where dealers can create their own UI and I am not impressed.  Dealers are computer guys, and AV guys, not designers.  Leave the design to designers!  They make better UI's then engineers can.

Control4 could probably use a few more proxy types and they can use a little interface element refresh but that isn't the same as free-formed.

As much as we complain that the UI looks dated at times, each new proxy they develop or update brings a fresh UI.

Mitch is correct. We built a web server into the driver from the ground up and built a HTML5 based user interface into it to handle 2 way feedback.  Works extremely well and i use it everyday on my iphone (quicker than launching the Control4 app)

Makes sense, thanks guys! I am going to have to get this driver for sure.  I think it will do everything I am hoping to do from my phone in the system.

I agree it would be nice to have a few new proxy types, and I'd rather control4 focus on those than opening up the UI for custom design (I like all the new UI's they've released recently).

I would disagree completely that drivers should be able to create their own UI.  That will lead to a confusing experience.  I think you are pointing out a lack of proxy.

I was just posting my wishes/ideas - as for compatibility reasons a native C4 integration/solution would be best

Archived