C4 Forums | Control4

Media Library Problems, Continued

I'm having an issue with the Control4 music player that is quite frustrating.  C4 tech support has absolutely no answers for me.

I have a large media library on a NAS, organized in folders by artist, 0-9, A, B, C....etc.

For example:

\NAS\Volume_1\Music\0-9\

\\NAS\Volume_1\Music\A\

\\NAS\Volume_1\Music\B\

You get the idea.

The original NAS was a DNS-323 that I thought might be the issue (file permissions, a known bug on these things) but I switched it all over to my newer (and better with file permissions) DNS-320.  I have also changed from the HC800 that originally gave me the problems (thought that might be it) to a new EA5, and I rebuilt my project from scratch, which was no small project.  No luck. Side note, the new EA processor sounds better than the 800.  But that doesn't really matter right now, because half my music doesn't f$%king work.

So I create a Network File Storage, let's say \\NAS\Music\ and I select all of the audio formats and have it scan for files.  It misses probably half of my library.  For example, under the T subdirectory, 'The Beatles' directory is completely missing.  Under B, 'Beck' folder is not showing.  So just for fun I create another separate share, \\NAS\Music\T\The Beatles\ or \\NAS\Music\B\Beck\ and scan it.  Everything is there.

Does Control4 have an issue with directories?  Can they only be so 'deep'?  I remember in older versions being able to see all of my music, but with the latest few updates, I cannot see all of it, so I can't listen to it.  I'm very disappointed in this (it USED TO work fine!) especially with the new EA processor, which they brag is so wonderful for music.

I don't understand why if I scan the root music directory, which has subdirectories 0-9 and A, B, C......Z, it misses tons of content but if I create a new share for the specific artist, it works.

This is very annoying.  Any experience?  Help?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my last - frustrated - post from last year when the issue started!

I use the HC-800 music player and it has always worked fine until I upgraded my HC-800 to 2.8.  I'm not sure if that is what started this issue or it is just a coincidence.

I have a NAS drive and a Network share set up in control4 to point to it.  I have a Music directory on the NAS containing all of my music files, in subdirectories A, B, C, etc. followed by the Artist folder, album folder, etc.  When I scan the music in Composer it trolls through all of the directories (takes a few hours) then I can see the music under Listen--->My Music in the system.  But it always misses some folders and some music is missing that always worked before.

The Music share points to the NAS, something like this:

\\NAS\Music

I have the correct user and password for the share.  It finds most of the music.

I did a test and created a second share for a particular folder and subfolders that are missing:

\\NAS\Music\Artist

I directed the new network share to that folder.  That folder 'Artist' containing 10 subfolders, each one an album.  This worked, and the music showed up.  But when I direct the share back to the original root of the share it does not find or display the contents of that same folder or subfolders.

So I know the music files are valid because the test share finds them and I can play them, but the original share for some reason will not.  The User I use to log into the NAS has full read/write permissions, and none of the files are hidden/archives/etc.  I cannot seem to find anything about file ownership that I am able to change, but I don't think that is the issue anyway, because the second share I created finds the files that the first didn't.

Any Suggestions?

Most of my customers don't have there music separated into directories like you have and therefore don't have these issues you seem to be experiencing.  Not exactly sure that's the cause, but worth looking at.

Typically, the shares path is the following \\NAS\Shared\Music, where Music lists all artists alphabetically automatically.  Have you tried setting up the NAS that way?

What NAS is this anyway?

Ever since the 2.8 upgrades, I've had freezing up on the LISTEN button and trying to add any songs to a QUEUE basically freezes up the remote.  My media library is quite large as well.  I used to use the 323 as well and moved to Drobo quite some time ago but my issue started well after moving to Drobo.  Something is screwy with Control4 media control and my dealer actually submitted this issue to Control4 tech support still waiting to hear back and possible fix in next software update.

Just now, drmark12pa said:

Ever since the 2.8 upgrades, I've had freezing up on the LISTEN button and trying to add any songs to a QUEUE basically freezes up the remote.  My media library is quite large as well.  I used to use the 323 as well and moved to Drobo quite some time ago but my issue started well after moving to Drobo.  Something is screwy with Control4 media control and my dealer actually submitted this issue to Control4 tech support still waiting to hear back and possible fix in next software update.

what controller are you using?

4 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

have you tried deleting your library and starting again?

I'm leery of doing that since everything is nicely updated with all correct album art and such.... but if I must, I will... hoping that it can be solved with upcoming update or considering a new EA5 controller

Just now, drmark12pa said:

I'm leery of doing that since everything is nicely updated with all correct album art and such.... but if I must, I will... hoping that it can be solved with upcoming update or considering a new EA5 controller

you can do a backup and export of your media library.  So you can always get back to the same version.

I would back it up, delete it and start again...

2 hours ago, msgreenf said:

you can do a backup and export of your media library.  So you can always get back to the same version.

I would back it up, delete it and start again...

Done that several times.  It won't fix it.

This is interesting.  Moved all my music out of the A, B, C etc. and to the root of the share on recommendation of C4 tech support.

From \\share\music\A\artist\     \\share\music\B\artist\      \\share\music\C\artist\   etc.

To \\share\artist\

Deleted library from C4 and rescanned.  Still missing many artists.  Found 3 random missing artists and created an NFS pointing at their directories individually.  Rescanned.  Now they work.  Too many artists missing to make this a feasable solution; I'd have 500 NFS connected.

This is a known C4 issue now apparently and really needs to be fixed.

More interesting.  I have found a workaround.  I put my music back into folders for A, B, C etc. but further broke it up so that the folders are smaller.  I created A1, A2, etc. making sure there are less than 200  or so subfolders in each folder.  I created an individual NFS for each A1, A2, etc. folder and scanned them one at a time.  It seems to be finding everything.  A few strange hiccups in a few folders such as F, where it would scan the first 18 of 62 folders then just...stop.  So I moved the unscanned folders into F2 and scanned again and it found the rest of them no problem.  It seems so random.

Archived