C4 Forums | Control4

Composer for PC

Just a quick question  -

I have a valid My Control4 System license can use the app on many machines, iPhones - iDevices etc but my main machine (Surface Book) it keeps "looking" for the director....

I have deleted the settings and recreated a profile many times and keeps taking me back to the screen "Please enter your Directors IP address". I don't remember any special config for the other devices and I doubt there is for this device. Thought I would ask here though if anyone knew what I could try to get it to work (remotely i.e. not on the same network).

*Note: All the devices I mentioned above work via cellular networks or other networks i.e. I don't have to be on my home network.

appreciate the guidence

That only works on the same network. Are you on the same Lan? It doesn't have remote access. Do you have windows fw blocking something

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

So it's not the same as the iPhone app access, gosh.

So I wasn't doing anything wrong. They really need to try standardize one layer across devices.

1 hour ago, ILoveControl said:

So it's not the same as the iPhone app access, gosh.

So I wasn't doing anything wrong. They really need to try standardize one layer across devices.

the reason it's not is because the MyPC app is port of the flash navigator so remote access was never part of it...

4 minutes ago, ILoveControl said:

Get it - understand the messaging - they still need to fix the experience.

they actually need to kill the MyPC app...and I suspect once they kill the Flash navigator they will

they actually need to kill the MyPC app...and I suspect once they kill the Flash navigator they will

No dude why! I often use it (well personally) sitting in study need to do something - mypc app.

Use case in meeting (clearly not focusing need to do something maybe check cameras) mypc app.

Works well.

Kill flash - hell yeah

I have three clients using this app right now. And it works well for immediate things. It requires a bit of initial programming, but it works for the most part out of the box. Good luck! And as always,

Happy Automating!

• 1 month later...

Is there any word on the future direction for the PC Navigator?  I find if very useful and I keep it running on my office PC - it is far quicker than using the phone or tablet app, even if you phone is right there.  What technology would make sense for such an application these days?  Java?  HTML5?

Why would there be any word on the future of it? In gen3eral, I do not see it changing from what it is now - as long as the previous (2) gens of touchscreens are supported it'll just stay where it is at is what I'd expect.

Doesn't it use Flash?  And isn't Flash pretty much dead?  Maybe they have to keep that going for a while to support the legacy touchscreens but what is the way forward for either touchscreens or PC/Mac based Navigators?

But isn't AIR just a frontend for Flash that allows Flash content to run outside of a browser:

"Adobe AIR is a runtime environment that allows Adobe Flash content and ActionScript 3.0 coders to construct applications and video games that run outside a web browser, and behave as a native application on supported platforms"

What's your point? It doesn't change the answer - don't expect it to change until they also drop the old screen.

One reason I hope that takes quite some time is because it gives us an option to use a Surface plus MyHome and use some of the specialty apps like tv wall, quickcontrol and start here. We are slowwly getting replacements for those, but not quite yet....

My point is that they should be considering what platform that they will be porting it to in the future as Flash is not a viable option going forward.  Depending on what they use it could also be more portable to other types of devices.  I agree that it is very useful to have the option of using a PC like a Surface or even a regular laptop or desktop PC.

You've been around long enough to know that there will be no word on what their future plans are - so from that standpoint the only answer is - no answer.

As for what they could all consider - that's a different matter. I'd guess that HTML5 is the most likely, but then again it'll depend on how long it would be before they change, and what is out and about by then.

So if you were to ask me, unless they are planning to make a change shortly (which we won't know about) - I don't think they have to consider anything at all at this point, because there's no telling what will be out (and most commonly used) by the time it gets to that.

Archived