C4 Forums | Control4

building a system at home

bhadams

I am starting to build up a value engineered a/v system in my home. I am using the centralized distribution approach with C4 as a backbone of course. My past experience has been in building larger scale systems with a larger scale budget, so this is a fun experience seeing how to make it work on a smaller budget.

I thought I’d post a couple of pictures of my new rack location, with a couple of construction pictures. A few of you may be interested.

The interior room is a storage room. The exterior room is my downstairs family room.

They are these really archaic manual switching interfaces for the lights. I don't know what the last homeowner was thinking...you actually have to walk over and physically toggle the little levers by hand...fools. One step at a time a suppose. These will be the first to be upgraded as the downstairs family room will be the integrated media room, one of four zones in the distribution scheme...

They are these really archaic manual switching interfaces for the lights. I don't know what the last homeowner was thinking...you actually have to walk over and physically toggle the little levers by hand...fools. One step at a time a suppose. These will be the first to be upgraded as the downstairs family room will be the integrated media room, one of four zones in the distribution scheme...

Ahh yes. If I squint, I can almost remember how lights used to be operated...

ms2bmw wrote:

I don't see the electrical/wiring drops. You're gonna do that yourself or have a pro do it? I put in a dedicated 20amp outlet to power all the devices in the head end. Is that a mid atlantic rack?

My electrical panel is on the opposite wall of the storage room. It will be a quick retro to bring a new dedicated 20amp circuit to the rack location. As for low voltage, I am in the process of retroing in a 2" conduit to each of the 4 video locations (I have one done so far). I'm using light and inexpensive central vac pipe for this. My basement is finished so it is a meticulous processes to avoid unnecessary damage getting wires through the house.

It's a 27 space Middle Atlantic Slim 5 rack. Everything value engineered.

ILoveC4 wrote:

bhadams is a pro....

thank you sir...

henniae, dgbrown are correct, best bang for the buck. It's hard not to spend lots of money in this industry.

I know...I'll take a picture of my equipment rack and post it in this forum sometime...I've spent plenty of money on my system.

henniae' date=' dgbrown are correct, best bang for the buck. It's hard not to spend lots of money in this industry.[/quote']

I know...I'll take a picture of my equipment rack and post it in this forum sometime...I've spent plenty of money on my system.

That's the truth.

Good to see you post

Archived