C4 Forums | Control4

Speakerpoint - connecting a subwoofer with no amp

Active Sub = Sub with built-in amplifier, line level and/or speaker level inputs.

Passive Sub = Sub with no amplifier, speaker level inputs only.

Line Level = red and white RCA plugs, low level (1volt p-p)

Line Level Converter = Speaker input to line level output

Active Sub Connection:

Speaker Point Amp. (speaker terminals) ---> Speakers

L> Line Level Converter -> Subwoofer (Line Level Input).

Thanks - Don't worry I know the difference between active and passive, but thanks! :)

So - I have Cambridge Audio Minx speakers plus an active sub which has line level in and line level out (pass- through I assume) - both RCA plugs. I have the speaker point which has line level output and speaker inputs. Only one set can be activated at any one time. So, without adding in a separate amp, I can only assume I connect the line level converter to one of the speakers (or direct to the speaker point speaker inputs)to feed the subwoofer - I think that's what you are saying, yes?

Thanks!

Yes. Most line lelvel converters, LLC's are stereo. Commonly used in automotive sound to connect factory stereos to aftermarket amps. Amazon sells them, but if they require power make sure to get a 12v power supply too. Lots car stereo amps have line level converters built-in, so yes you can get a amp with LLC although it's 12v.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I was just thinking that, but I was hoping to have he two speakers + subwoofer without a separate amp, unless there is a line level converter with an amp built in I suppose. Anyway to achieve that?

Thanks,

Alex

What do you need an amp for? You said the sub is active with line level inputs right? All you will need to do is connect the speakers and a stereo line level converter to the speaker terminals on the speakerpoint. You will then run RCA cables from the output on the line level converter to the RCA inputs on the subwoofer.

Archived