C4 Forums | Control4

No serial control with new HC-800!

Swapped out an HC-300 for the new HC-800 and everything works as advertised EXCEPT the serial ports are kaput! There's no communication with my alarm system, a Vista 128F panel over either serial connection. We checked that "ipserver" was enabled in system manager and it was, even disabled it then reenabled and rebooted. Still nada. Ended up reconnecting the 300 directly to the alarm by itself so I didn't loose that functionality. Anybody got any ideas?

I mentioned to Paul that there's a lag before it flashes the TV to turn on when I select any "Watch" function... The 300 was instantaneous. Welcome to being an "early adopter"!!

Well for me it works right away but if I push the skip forward it will transmit the commands the first 3 or 4 times but will stop working for 2 seconds and then I have to push it again.

Alright after much deliberation with tech support and a C4 engineer it turns out the 800's software wasn't created to handle the baud rate his alarm panel needs. The engineer said they would fix this in a software release.

what was the baud rate?

I had the same problem when, some time ago, I was writing a driver for a security system that used 19200 baud rate - had no communication and in the end I had to use ethernet-serial converter.

This was with the HC300C though.

I had the exact opposite problem. Serial ports worked great but the ir didn't work at all. After messing with it for hours I had to take a break. Wake up this morning and ir works. I can't explain it but I am happy it is working now.

I had the exact opposite problem. Serial ports worked great but the ir didn't work at all. After messing with it for hours I had to take a break. Wake up this morning and ir works. I can't explain it but I am happy it is working now.

There is a bulletin out about that.

The IR is horrible on the new HC-800. C4 really needs to re-evaluate there beta program. There are some power users on here that could probably help them.

chesterwilson, what problem are you experiencing? I've heard that ioserver needs to be reset after a reboot, but then it starts working and all is well.

I'd be curious to hear what you're problems are. I'm definitely going to wait on my "controller consolidation" until a patch is released for that thing...I don't use any of the I/O on it right now.

The bug that is being reported is that the IR stops working or doesn't work out of the box unti the IOServer is reset.

My problem, however, is the ir hanging when stacking commands. For example, if I use the 30 second skip button and I press it 6 times in a row the IR hangs for 1-2 seconds and doesn't recognize any commands. I have to wait for 1-2 seconds before I can use the remote again. This never occurred when I was using the HC-300c.

When I say it hangs, its not because the other commands are still going through (i.e. if I push it 6 times, the first 4 times it will go through, there will be a 1-2 second pause after the last command and only then can I input a command)

It's funny because my mind keeps telling me this remote sucks, then I have to remind myself it's the same remote.

Just digging a little here. I'm wondering whether it's a stacking issue as you describe or perhaps the source component is actually being overrun ? Perhaps because the 800 may process the IR command stack faster.

If you stand in front of the source component is the IR flashing or does it pause and start up again ? If the former, perhaps tuning the repeat count on the driver may have an impact.

Archived